Ball joints on a 2002 T Bird.

edward301
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Took my car out again today for a good drive to my office, and decided to take to our
vehicle maintenance facility ( shop ) and put up on the rack.

No rattles, or bumps from the suspension, but did notice some of the small ball joints
have had the rubber boots detoriate, and some of the grease has leaked out, and the ball
joints are exposed. Since I drive so little the ball joints are still ok, but need replacing.

I have found web sites that sell the ball joints and bushings only, and others that sell the
suspension pieces with ball joints, and bushings already installed.

Any of you that have replaced these items on your Birds, which way did you go, I have a
on site mechanic that will replace these for me, and I will most likely assist him.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I had the same problem with my T bird I took it to the dealer and they wanted to replace all the lore and upper arms With New joints And grease cups.they told me you cant just replace the cups the upper and lower arms come pre assembled as a unit. 2002 and 2003 are jaguar front end parts. Ford owned jaguar at the time. If you know where and how to get just the rubber cups please let me know I am interested too.

I ended up replacing the whole front end on my 03 last year. I just went with new parts that I got from a big box auto store. Think I had about $1200 in parts - did the work myself, then took it to alignment shop for alignment.

I just replaced my fuel filter this week as mine started stalling, whilst under there noticed the rubber had perished on the ball joints for the front upper control arm (used to call it the wishbone arm in the old days) just ordered replacements from ebay for $72 total for both sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few months back ('04 at 59K miles) my mechanic found all BJ in good condition but ALL rubber grease cups/boots completely shot or missing. His opinion was that the OEM cups were inferior material/design. He replaced maybe 6 or 8 cups that were readily replaceable (~$400). I think he said the uppers (two?) could only be fully replaced as a unit so he suggested just keep an eye on them for now and run to failure before replacing.

Went ahead and ordered all the suspension pieces from eBay to replace all
the front and rear parts. Better to get it all done now.

A few months back ('04 at 59K miles) my mechanic found all BJ in good condition but ALL rubber grease cups/boots completely shot or missing. His opinion was that the OEM cups were inferior material/design. He replaced maybe 6 or 8 cups that were readily replaceable (~$400). I think he said the uppers (two?) could only be fully replaced as a unit so he suggested just keep an eye on them for now and run to failure before replacing.
Mach5,
Do you know where your mechanic got the boots or what part # they are? All boots on my 02 are rotted out but the actual ball and sockets are still tight.

Mach5,
Do you know where your mechanic got the boots or what part # they are? All boots on my 02 are rotted out but the actual ball and sockets are still tight.
What you are referring to us called a dust boot. I think this is what you are asking about-

What you are referring to us called a dust boot. I think this is what you are asking about-
Thanks for the link. I see you asked if anyone knew if the part #'s for 02. My car is 02. Would the dust boots be different?

Greg

Back