Bad coil detector 2002-2005

I wouldn't waste your money, if you get a bad coil code, it will show you on your on board computer
Thank you for responding, I have a plug that reads codes thru my Garmin, but it's only after the coil has coded. Any other tools I should have in my toolbox? I have 7mm tools, swiveling socket and wrenches, with extensions and a telescoping magnet.

Thank you for responding, I have a plug that reads codes thru my Garmin, but it's only after the coil has coded. Any other tools I should have in my toolbox? I have 7mm tools, swiveling socket and wrenches, with extensions and a telescoping magnet.
I think you have all you need, the socket to remove the 6 small bolts from the coil cover then a spark plug wrench with extension. No special tools required.

If you are going to do any service work that involves removing interior panels, trunk liner panels or similar I recommend you purchase a set or package of assorted plastic panel removing tools. I know Harbor Freight carries them 6 different shapes in a pak.

If you are going to do any service work that involves removing interior panels, trunk liner panels or similar I recommend you purchase a set or package of assorted plastic panel removing tools. I know Harbor Freight carries them 6 different shapes in a pak.
Thank you! I'll check that out!
I think you have all you need, the socket to remove the 6 small bolts from the coil cover then a spark plug wrench with extension. No special tools required.
Thank you! I just picked up the spark plug wrench, so next time Velvet gets her plugs changed home!

I have owned my 2004 for four years and have had no problem with the coils.
They may have already been changed, give you Vin to a dealer and they can tell you the work history providing the car was brought to a Ford dealer. Mine is an 03, they printed out the history and only about three were replaced from previous owner

I'm considering buying this... it detects bad coils. Have any of you used this tool? Is it a god send or a back scratcher? View attachment 4667
Stick a NE-2 neon bulb, no connections, into the end of a plastic straw and it will glow bright/dim when close to high tension voltage. Cost a few cents. fixemonthecheap

On my 2002 bird when a coil started failing you could just tell by the sound of the exhaust pop, it never threw a code though which is quite common sometimes on these cars.

Each coil will only put up a code if it fails or mis fires within it's threshold which counted by the PCM( PowerControl Module. If this threshold is not reached before the ignition is turned off no code will be available.
The PCM counts, not enough mis fires then count is reset to zero at key off. Process starts again on next start up.
It takes many mis fires per coil to put a code.

Back