At last, I've got a Thunderbird (2002).

B

blackieandred

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
In 1970, after my ex brother in law gave me, then took away (while I was getting my drivers license), a 1960 white with blue interior Tbird, I swore I'd someday get one. After searching on and off for several years, I decided on the retro look with technology. Purchased yesterday, delivered today, 2002 torch red, with 7K miles, from Sands Ford in Red Hill PA. Great experience: dealer owned car, in the Sands family since day one, garaged, mint. Was able to get a three year 24K bumper to bumper warranty, and they delivered the car to my home at no charge (50miles)! Has tonneau boot, car cover, top holder, window sticker, all manuals and intro CD still in package. Has the retro black, red, silver interior with white gauge cluster. Car is immaculate. I had ideas as to how I would customize this car, but after seeing it today, I am leaving it stock.

Attachments

• 2002TB.jpg
    2002TB.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

In 1970, after my ex brother in law gave me, then took away (while I was getting my drivers license), a 1960 white with blue interior Tbird, I swore I'd someday get one. After searching on and off for several years, I decided on the retro look with technology. Purchased yesterday, delivered today, 2002 torch red, with 7K miles, from Sands Ford in Red Hill PA. Great experience: dealer owned car, in the Sands family since day one, garaged, mint. Was able to get a three year 24K bumper to bumper warranty, and they delivered the car to my home at no charge (50miles)! Has tonneau boot, car cover, top holder, window sticker, all manuals and intro CD still in package. Has the retro black, red, silver interior with white gauge cluster. Car is immaculate. I had ideas as to how I would customize this car, but after seeing it today, I am leaving it stock.
Congrats!!! Enjoy the ride!!!!!!!!

Beautiful car! Welcome to the Thunderbird family! You've come to the right place in this forum... are you a member yet? This is the be all and end all of stored knowledge!

It looks like you got a 'brand new' Bird. Diane and I have had our '05 since new and it still looks and drives as new. It has 42k and on it's second set of tires. These birds are getting scarce these days and Diane gets complements on it everywhere she goes. They are very comfortable, great handling cars that deliver 25mpg on the road and make you feel great to drive them. Congratulations. Jack&Diane

Bought my '02 Torch Red 18,000 mile bird last February....got all the original goodies with it. Keeping it all original with the exception of an upgraded radio and a new spare tire (keeping the 17 year old spare on the shelf). They are fun, eclectic rides with nice cruiser features. They were nearly $40K cars when new - hard to believe..

Congrats! Looks like a great Bird.....you are going to love it...I love my Torch Red Anniversary Bird......great idea on the warranty....Enjoy your ride...

That’s great. I’m still looking. Good luck with it,
Charlie
Medford, NJ

Welcome BlackieandRed, I hope to see you on the road this summer if you get out west - you will love it, I get compliments every time I take her out.

Welcome, you will love your new bird.. Here is my question with only 7,000 miles.on the clock, are you going to drive it or admire it.. I guess you can do both.. I would have a tough time desiding on that.. Watch out you my have to buy another as a driver..

Thank you everyone. Love the sound of the V8, and the look of the interior. I don't understand why some people criticize the interior. I do have to learn to get in and out without bumping my head on the hardtop! stevedaphotoman, I love to sit back and admire cars, but will use this also. Probably 2K per year. Have classic insurance and am getting classic plates from PA, so these impose a limit.
Love the fact that this is three cars in one: hardtop, ragtop, convertible.

Last edited:
I drive all my classics, otherwise, personally, I don't see the point...
My 63 Corvette and 02 Thunderbird are both insured with the National Corvette Museum...
Very reasonable rates, 6,000 mile annual mileage permitted and I had a LARGE claim with them in 2016; paid without a question being asked....

Thank you everyone. Love the sound of the V8, and the look of the interior. I don't understand why some people criticize the interior. I do have to learn to get in and out without bumping my head on the hardtop! stevedaphotoman, I love to sit back and admire cars, but will use this also. Probably 2K per year. Have classic insurance and am getting classic plates from PA, so these impose a limit.
Love the fact that this is three cars in one: hardtop, ragtop, convertible.

I bought the twin sister of yours Torch Red etc. three years ago with 16,700 on mine and now I have 19,800.,. Mine is a weekend / Sunday driver so we're doing about 1000-1200 miles per year.. Being In NY State, I do have the luxury? of forced hibernation for 5-6 months a year which helps keeps the mileage off.. Yupper, I bump my heard almost all the time with the hardtop on..

Sounds like a great buy, with a great story

I too live in New York State and my car is in "forced hibernation" until the weather is good and no salt left on the roads. Just got my T-Bird in November so I really have not had the luxury of driving it. Going to be a really loooooong winter. Already chomping at the bit, but it is only January.

I too live in New York State and my car is in "forced hibernation" until the weather is good and no salt left on the roads. Just got my T-Bird in November so I really have not had the luxury of driving it. Going to be a really loooooong winter. Already chomping at the bit, but it is only January.

wow that is a bummer not having a chance to drive yours.. I bought ours in February and it sat in a dealers warehouse till April when all the salt was off the road.. I did have visitation rights two or three times while it was in the warehouse.. Just a couple days ago, I pulled mine out of garage and into our driveway, and warmed it up for about 1/2 hour, then pulled it back in the garage and placed it back on life support via a battery tender. I do that once a month while it’s in hibernation just to keep the seals lubricated etc.i also over inflate the tires to about 45 psi to warrant off tire flat spots.. That seems to help a lot on the flat spots..

I feel for you being out here Phoenix.....love your description of hibernation bird. ....your bird needs to fly west in the winter...lol....Happy New Year! Enjoy your comments....

Good looking red 2002, I have one just like it, bought a year ago with 13k on it, my red bird has all black
interior. Bought the red bird to go with our 2002 white bird that I have had since new which has 12k miles.
Here in TX we get to drive almost year round. Drive them much more now, than years ago. They have become
somewhat classic cars, and it feels good when you drive something, that 10,000 people in the same town
do not drive.

Mines an 05 and like you living in Phoenix I can drive mine all year round except when it rains which we don’t have much these days. Looking forward to a nice weather this weekend to cruise around.....its a head turner for certain.....this forum is great to share rides and input...glad I own a bird now.....had a 50th Corvette which was a head turner....Happy New Year!

Back