Any tips for separating the wire connectors on my 57 Tbird.

W
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone have any tips for disconnecting the wire connectors on my 57 T-bird.
I need to remove all the wiring before getting the car media blasted.
Is there something like PB blaster for electrical connections?

Thanks,

Art

Brute strength is your best bet but it can hurt. Be careful about pulling them apart by hand. It will start out needing lots of pull-strength and then just let go and you will smash your hands into something hard or sharp. Ask me how I know!:)I bought a set of plastic trim tools. Some of them look like pry bars and others look like shims, they have a wedge shape. I pulled on each end of the connector just enough to get the wedge in there and then tapped it in with a body hammer letting the wedge do all the work. Put a dab of dielectric grease on the wedge so it will slide easily on the 50 year old rubber blocks. When you put them back together use some dielectric grease on both the bullet ends.

Brute strength is your best bet but it can hurt. Be careful about pulling them apart by hand. It will start out needing lots of pull-strength and then just let go and you will smash your hands into something hard or sharp. Ask me how I know!:)I bought a set of plastic trim tools. Some of them look like pry bars and others look like shims, they have a wedge shape. I pulled on each end of the connector just enough to get the wedge in there and then tapped it in with a body hammer letting the wedge do all the work. Put a dab of dielectric grease on the wedge so it will slide easily on the 50 year old rubber blocks. When you put them back together use some dielectric grease on both the bullet ends.
Thanks for the reply. I've already separated the ones in the engine compartment. I sprayed the connections with "Deep Creep", let them sit for a couple of hours, then grasped them with some small pliers and twisted them back and forth before pulling them apart while twisting. Only broke 1 of them in the terminal block
and one of the connections for the heater blower motor. Thanks again, Art

Back