All Electrical Power is Out on 1960 Bird!

Marconius3
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I drove my 1960 Thunderbird about a week ago, and I had no problems with it. Two days ago, I got in and started it, and it did nothing. There was no sound at all, as if the battery were missing. I checked the battery, and it has a full charge. I removed the battery cables and wire brushed the connections, But when I reattached them, I still had nothing. I don’t understand why everything was fine when I parked it less than a week before, but now it has no electrical power whatsoever! I hope some of the fine people in this forum can help me out! Thanks in advance!!!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You must have a broken ground wire at the engine. Hook up a jumper cable from the negative side of the battery to the frame or engine and see if you have any thing come on.

Do the headlights work? They operate independently of the starting circuit. If you do not have lights then follow the voltage from the plus side of the battery with an ice-pick or multi-meter grounded to find out where you stop receiving a voltage signal.
If you have lights; It also quite possible that the trouble is in the ignition switch. Check that to make sure that the solenoid is getting voltage on the switch side of the solenoid. As you probably know the solenoid is a low amperage switch to connect the battery side of the solenoid through to the starter side of the solenoid.
good luck, J.
P.S. If you don't have a shop manual, get a factory manual (original or reprint) specific for your car.

Neutral Safety Switch could be the problem, can you start by "hot wiring" the solenoid.
My '59 neutral safety switch is a PITA.
I have the parts to rebuild the steering column, and will include a NSS bypass.

If all is dead including the lights / horn - Usually the battery + is wired to the one side of the solenoid, from here to the generator then to the voltage regulator. This is the main feed to the fuses and ignition.

Neutral switch!! Welcome to the world Of Thunderbird. My 64 did the exact same thing. Play with the indicator while turning the key.

Neutral Safety Switch could be the problem, can you start by "hot wiring" the solenoid.
My '59 neutral safety switch is a PITA.
I have the parts to rebuild the steering column, and will include a NSS bypass.
That is what I want to do. I put in a new neutral switch but it's starting to get out of alignment again. What guage wire did you use? I have a nice heavy duty push in switch. Any ideas where to hide it in my 64 Thunderbird?

You don't really need to hide it. Still need the key.
On/under dash near key.
It is low voltage/amp, 16/18 gauge will work.
Momentary switch, normally off. Bought mine at Lowe's.

Back