Aftermarket Performance Upgrades 2002 2003 2004 2005 Thunderbird

I've got a TBC Cold Air Intake on my 2002. It sounds beautiful. I bought it from Thunderbird Concepts. I've had the car in storage and just transported it to California. I just got back from smog test and the guys asking for an EO number which should be a sticker on aftermarket parts for the intake / pollution systems. I'm struggling to find the number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried electric cutouts? Seems like it would dwarf the price of Flowmasters, with similar results.

Has anybody purchased the K&N intake system and had a problem re connecting the stock black plastic hose to the nipple on the new intake. Want to buy one but I do not want to jury rig another type of hose

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Has anybody purchased the K&N intake system and had a problem re connecting the stock black plastic hose to the nipple on the new intake. Want to buy one but I do not want to jury rig another type of hose
It works fine on 2003-2005 models. It does not fit the 2002 which is what you are likely referring to. Link- http://amzn.to/2fbDOyD

All you need to unleash the power of your Thunderbird are three things!
1- SCT Tuner
2- Cold Air Intake 2003-2005
3- Exhaust 03-05 or 2002
Also recommend replacing ignition coils since these are often bad! They are cheap now, so at the least have a set on hand!
You can do the first two and then the exhaust at a later time if you don't want to do them all at once. The tuner alone will also yield results.

A must have for any Ford Thunderbird owner! Click here to view the SCT Ford Thunderbird Tuner that works on 1996-2014 FORD Cars & Trucks.

Notes: X4 Power Flash Programmer; Pre-Loaded;Not Legal For Use/Sale In CA On Pollution Controlled Vehicle;, 93 Octane HP Increase +14 hp; Torque Increase +17 lbs./ft.~ Backs Up Stock Tune/Supports Custom Tuning~ Axle Ratio/Tire Size~ Holds Up To 10 Custom Tunes; Automatic On/Off/Sleep Mode~ Read And Clears DTC Codes; Built-In Performance Calculator~ High Speed Date Logging And Monitoring; User Adjustable Tuner Options~ Built-In Wifi For Easy Updates; User Adjustable Warning/Alerts~ Spark Modification By RPM/Wide Open Throttle Fuel~ Wide Open Throttle Shift Points/Shift Firmness Control/Cooling Fan~ Speed Limiter/RPM Limiter/Idle Adjustment/Traction Control

K&N 69-3520TP Typhoon Air Intake Kit is also a easy way to improve performance and gas mileage on the 2003-2005 Ford Thunderbird! Pays for itself over time! Click here to view on Amazon

Ford Thunderbird BORLA Split-Rear Exit Cat-Back System With Single Round Rolled Angle-Cut Tip
Upgrade your Ford Thunderbird’s factor exhaust system to something truly amazing!
HP & Torque: 14 HP/ 18 ft lbs Torque.

Click here for 2003 2004 2005 Ford Thunderbird Cat-Back Borla Exhaust
Click here for 2002 Ford Thunderbird Cat-Back Borla Exhaust

any idea what the HP and Torque increase is provided by the tuner? My experience with these and I have had quite a few is that the increase is not worth the expense. In some models esp diesel you can get quite a lot. In older models you may get a decent increase but generally with cars built in the 2000's not a lot.Maybe 10hp. Interesting enough, I went on SCT's home page and they claim this product is supported on the Tbird. I sent them a request to see if that is correct.

Last edited:
Does anyone want to sell thier Borla exhaust to fit my 03 T-bird? I live in Houston.

Thanks,

Jim (jetbird)
I got mine from Summitt up here in Ohio, the sound is incredible, I have a 3.9 in mine, That's the Jaguar Engine and Tranie, also had Head problems and had to get new gaskets at 45000 miles and they had to shave the heads, more power and the Borla gives more as well. 0-60 in about 4 seconds or less, very fast now

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine from Summitt up here in Ohio, the sound is incredible, I have a 3.9 in mine, That's the Jaguar Engine and Tranie, also had Head problems and had to get new gaskets at 45000 miles and they had to shave the heads, more power and the Borla gives more as well0-60 in about 4 seconds or less, very fast now
0-60 in 4 seconds or less you say? That's impressive. Your car is in the same league as:

• 640 HP Cadillac CTS-V
  • 560 HP Audi RS-7
  • 505 HP Alfa Romeo Guilia Quadrifoglio
  • 707 HP Dodge Charger Hellcat
And from a 3700 lb. car too!

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
0-60 in 4 seconds or less you say? That's impressive. Your car is in the same league as:
  • 640 HP Cadillac CTS-V
  • 560 HP Audi RS-7
  • 505 HP Alfa Romeo Guilia Quadrifoglio
  • 707 HP Dodge Charger Hellcat
And from a 3700 lb. car too!
He said "about" 4 seconds. haha 4 seconds, 6 seconds, who's counting. ;-) Could have been down a cliff too.

I'm kinda new here, have a 2005 I bought about 10 months ago and have a ton to learn about it. One of the first things I have pondered is the borla exhaust system however when I click on your post and go to amazon for 2005, it tells me not available for 2005 model. Could this be a mistake or do they really not have one for a 2005? Thanks.

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I'm kinda new here, have a 2005 I bought about 10 months ago and have a ton to learn about it. One of the first things I have pondered is the borla exhaust system however when I click on your post and go to amazon for 2005, it tells me not available for 2005 model. Could this be a mistake or do they really not have one for a 2005? Thanks.
It will fit. See @Quickdraw's post here - https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/borla-exhaust-for-05-bird.3073/#post-23451

Whiz

2003 SEMA Thunderbird
I’m new here and love the tips and advice. I purchased the K&N Typhoon CAI and the cat-back Borla exhaust and will install both in the next week or two. I’ll take some before & after pics and post my impressions on fit and any noticeable improvements In case anyone other than me is interested! They will not ship the SCT Tuner to me in California... I found a local guy with a great reputation for dyno tuning for peak performance, I’ll probably go that route.

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I’m new here and love the tips and advice. I purchased the K&N Typhoon CAI and the cat-back Borla exhaust and will install both in the next week or two. I’ll take some before & after pics and post my impressions on fit and any noticeable improvements In case anyone other than me is interested! They will not ship the SCT Tuner to me in California... I found a local guy with a great reputation for dyno tuning for peak performance, I’ll probably go that route.
I would just order a used Tuner from an individual on Ebay! Make sure it is unmarried from the original car! https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=SCT+Performance+-+7015&_sacat=0
Make sure your Borla Exaust is the 1400081 too! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CII96C/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20 Some people have reported getting the wrong one too even if they ordered the correct part so check it before you install.

I have a 2005 Anniversary Edition. As long as we are talking SCT Tuner, among other things, I have a question. I have the SCT Tuner and tuned the car for the 93 octane tune. At the time I tuned it I had only removed the intake box muffler and installed a K&n air filter. Recently, I purchased and installed the Borla cat back exhaust. Doe I need to retune?
thanks!

P.S. I had to chuckle at the comment made about 0 to 60 in about 4 seconds. Maybe with a 40 mph wind at your back going down a steep hill lol.