Aftermarket Performance Parts Upgrades 2002 2003 2004 2005 Thunderbird

I have a 2005 and am thinking of buying the Borla cat back exhaust system. The only thing I don’t like about it is that the tips come out too far. Has anyone installed this system and had the tips recessed a bit? I would like them to end at the end of the bumper.
Thanks
I am actually having my borla 140081 part number this is the touring borla system for the 03 bird I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for bringing up that about the tips I’m going to ask my installer if it can be recesssd back some. But anyways I’ll know today how it sounds. I also have the typhoon k&n cold air intak that alone sounds like a beast can’t wait to hear them together. Then it’s off to my last stop a sct livw side performance dealer to customer tine everything and it’s going to be dyno tested before and after all parts so I’ll know what a difference the tuning makes after the installation of the cold air and the borla I will upload the test results so everyone will know how much horsepower increase we can get from just a few small upgrades

I installed my typhoon cold air intake today and used my sct live wire tuner and got to say the sound from that cold air intake is great love to hear it sucking in that air and a lot better throttle response. However I believe I got the wrong tuner I got the sct live wire which the website site was a match for my 03 bird and had preloaded tunes but I plugged it in and it allows me to see all my numbers and change fuel air mixture and show that I added the cold air intake but it does not have anything preloaded like 93 octane performance upgrade or any of these performance upgrades the paperwork says that for the live wire it does have like one pre loaded tune for the cold air and if you know how to tune with one I can advance spark timing and temp setting stuff like that but if I want those other pre loaded custom tunes I would have to plug the device into my computer go to the website and purchase the custom tunes I want which are 10.00 bucks a piece. Can any one recommend what would be the best custom tune or tunes to purchase for the most performance I’m not savvy enough to start changing gear and axle ratios and spark timing and gear changes I should have got the sct x4
Quick update was wrong on the live wire sct part number 5051p for the ford once you buy the tuner you can plug it in and let in read your car. And will allow you to show for the cold air intake and make some other minor changes which unless you know what your doing I do not suggest doing. Once you ad all of the stuff you are going to do it’s better just to do it all first then when your done you take the car and the scr love wire tuner they throw it up on the dyno and run it and tweak and make adjustments so your car get full potential from your upgrades the sct programmer stated that with the exhaust and the k&n and the tuner running 93 octsnce once be dyno it and tweaks everything I can expect a total of 40 to 60 horse from bone stock. There are ways to get a little more but honestly I don’t believe it’s worth it these are amazing beautiful cars we are cruising them not drag racing them so if I’m gonna gain 40 to 60 horse from stock I’m completely satisfied plus even with the extra power once he tunes and dials everything in not only will I increase my power but my fuel mileage should in fact go up not down which will be a huge plus
theres a number of the expensive cars that use exhaust cutouts.
and here in calif we now have noise restrictions. the fine isn't too awful yet.
im not extremis happy with my sct x4 and tune, I was expecting more.
right now id like to look at some bags to slam it when parked, next step in that direction is the fabulous ford event coming April 14, Anaheim stadium, and ask the slamed owners. ill be there. more info needed.
but back to performance is look for a shop that has a dyno and gets good results with fords ?, maybe they can tune me something better. another $600.
did the feds step in and kill the tuners?
coils would be 30 min
cams would be a weekend,
two different jobs. where/who is making cams?
don,
k/n cai, borla, 74mm bored tb, sct x4 w extra tune.
Most def take it to a sct specialty tuner they will dyno it and make your tuner work like it’s supposed to work If your is clinking and hard shifts. Did you by chance adjust spark timing or rpm shifts

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2005 and am thinking of buying the Borla cat back exhaust system. The only thing I don’t like about it is that the tips come out too far. Has anyone installed this system and had the tips recessed a bit? I would like them to end at the end of the bumper.
Thanks
Thanks for the info I had mine installed yesterday the borla 140081 touring cat back model all stainless get yours while will in stock on amazon for under 900 the dealers around want over 1200 for the same thing buying from them so lots of savings right there and I found a custom muffler shop that did the install for only 150 bucks actually they knocks of 25.00 cause it took less time than they thought. I mentioned to them about the tips sticking out to far they said tjey would install them and see where they were then make adjustments but yes with know adjustments they do stick out way to far roughly almost 4 inches to far so they took the the time and adjusted and recessed them back til they were just about flat with bumper, out just far enough so you can still see the borla insignia on the tip if you were standing above it. So this can be easily fixed by you muller installer. For me the tone of the borla is good it’s a deep like rich sound it sounds like engine rumble and not a bumble few farting like most kids today with their little cars so pair the Borla’s with the typhoon k&n cold air intake and then you will achieve that full bodied sound with out being loud and over bearing. Which is what I want no offense inteneddd to those that want theirs to sound like it’s ready for the drag strip it’s about choice my choice was this combo to achieve the sound I was after now once it goes to the tuner and gets dyno tests and dislednwith with the sct tuner it should sound even better when my tuner guy gets the car i am having Gl him do a before and after and I will post these so we all know what upgrades I did and the results are before and after the tuner dials this thing in. Good luck everybody I will post some pics once I get it detailed I just got back from a 1000 mile road trip with it so it needs a bath

All you need to unleash the power of your Thunderbird are three things!
1- SCT Tuner
2- Cold Air Intake 2003-2005
3- Exhaust 03-05 or 2002
Also recommend replacing ignition coils since these are often bad! They are cheap now, so at the least have a set on hand!
You can do the first two and then the exhaust at a later time if you don't want to do them all at once. The tuner alone will also yield results.

A must have for any Ford Thunderbird owner! Click here to view the SCT Ford Thunderbird Tuner that works on 1996-2014 FORD Cars & Trucks.

Notes: X4 Power Flash Programmer; Pre-Loaded;Not Legal For Use/Sale In CA On Pollution Controlled Vehicle;, 93 Octane HP Increase +14 hp; Torque Increase +17 lbs./ft.~ Backs Up Stock Tune/Supports Custom Tuning~ Axle Ratio/Tire Size~ Holds Up To 10 Custom Tunes; Automatic On/Off/Sleep Mode~ Read And Clears DTC Codes; Built-In Performance Calculator~ High Speed Date Logging And Monitoring; User Adjustable Tuner Options~ Built-In Wifi For Easy Updates; User Adjustable Warning/Alerts~ Spark Modification By RPM/Wide Open Throttle Fuel~ Wide Open Throttle Shift Points/Shift Firmness Control/Cooling Fan~ Speed Limiter/RPM Limiter/Idle Adjustment/Traction Control

K&N 69-3520TP Typhoon Air Intake Kit is also a easy way to improve performance and gas mileage on the 2003-2005 Ford Thunderbird! Pays for itself over time! Click here to view on Amazon

Ford Thunderbird BORLA Split-Rear Exit Cat-Back System With Single Round Rolled Angle-Cut Tip
Upgrade your Ford Thunderbird’s factor exhaust system to something truly amazing!
HP & Torque: 14 HP/ 18 ft lbs Torque.

Click here for 2003 2004 2005 Ford Thunderbird Cat-Back Borla Exhaust
Click here for 2002 Ford Thunderbird Cat-Back Borla Exhaust

I went with the borla touring exhaust full stainless cat back system but not that I don’t like it it has a good sound but I’m def looking for a lot louder not so loud where it is annoying loud but def something you can hear at idle and really here when your going something that sounds deep and throaty so I am thinking I went with the wrong borla by going with the touring edition I should have went with the borla xs performance or maybe even magna flow any suggestion for more sound

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I went with the borla touring exhaust full stainless cat back system but not that I don’t like it it has a good sound but I’m def looking for a lot louder not so loud where it is annoying loud but def something you can hear at idle and really here when your going something that sounds deep and throaty so I am thinking I went with the wrong borla by going with the touring edition I should have went with the borla xs performance or maybe even magna flow any suggestion for more sound
There is only one Borla available- Exhaust 03-05 or 2002

So borla 140081 is the only borla available for my car this is the borla touring I thought about using all the borla pieces accept for the rear muffler and tip and putting stainless flowmasters or magna flows on it. If that won’t work then I guess I’ll go with a totally different exhaust system and sell the borla set I have it’s brAnd new at most have like 200 miles on it guess I could see the set but don’t think I would get enough out of it to be worth selling it the borla set for this car the borla touring price is almost 1200 and amazon sells it for 900 so not sure if I should just stick with the borla and just be happy about it and buy something different to get a louder sound and hope I can sell the borlas since I don’t think I can return the borla

1- SCT Tuner
3- Exhaust 03-05 or 2002
Also recommend replacing ignition coils since these are often bad! They are cheap now, so at the least have a set on hand!
You can do the first two and then the exhaust at a later time if you don't want to do them all at once. The tuner alone will also yield results.

A must have for any Ford Thunderbird owner! Click here to view the SCT Ford Thunderbird Tuner that works on 1996-2014 FORD Cars & Trucks.

Notes: X4 Power Flash Programmer; Pre-Loaded;Not Legal For Use/Sale In CA On Pollution Controlled Vehicle;, 93 Octane HP Increase +14 hp; Torque Increase +17 lbs./ft.~ Backs Up Stock Tune/Supports Custom Tuning~ Axle Ratio/Tire Size~ Holds Up To 10 Custom Tunes; Automatic On/Off/Sleep Mode~ Read And Clears DTC Codes; Built-In Performance Calculator~ High Speed Date Logging And Monitoring; User Adjustable Tuner Options~ Built-In Wifi For Easy Updates; User Adjustable Warning/Alerts~ Spark Modification By RPM/Wide Open Throttle Fuel~ Wide Open Throttle Shift Points/Shift Firmness Control/Cooling Fan~ Speed Limiter/RPM Limiter/Idle Adjustment/Traction Control

K&N 69-3520TP Typhoon Air Intake Kit is also a easy way to improve performance and gas mileage on the 2003-2005 Ford Thunderbird! Pays for itself over time! Click here to view on Amazon

Ford Thunderbird BORLA Split-Rear Exit Cat-Back System With Single Round Rolled Angle-Cut Tip
Upgrade your Ford Thunderbird’s factor exhaust system to something truly amazing!

Just an FYI I have installed the cold air intake as described above and it sounds great and def a small boost in power along with that nice sound it has when it is sucking in the air. I also purchased the SCT live wire and have played around with it so far the only tune was the 93 octane tune which I am using now and I have tweaked some of the other option like air to fuel ratio I have an appt in a few weeks with a SCT tuner there they will dyno the car and create a performance tune for me. Lastly I did put the borla 140081 exhaust system. But found that it does has a nice tone to it but it is def not loud I would say just barely above stock loud. So with that I had my custom muffler shop remove the big borla resonator once we removed that and took out the ford resonator now that made a big difference in sound made it much louder but still has that great borla sound. My next step is I am replacing the front cats with high flow converters and removing the 3 rd converter that is right before the resonators were so basically in the end I will have 2 high flow cats with stainless straight pipe all the way back to the borla mufflers. I may be wrong on this last part but I tried to find an exhaust pre made from factory you can buy with the big flow cats already installed and it’s just one long piece. I would have went that way instead. But with some changes to the borla system 140081 you can get the sound level you want and still have that awesome borla tone and basically your running a in restricted exhaust.

2003 3xblk 33,000
I did have a tune made for my sct x4, 5 star tuning, but ill be looking for a dyno soon. doesn't have what im looking for.
I just installed the hr sport springs and the kybs, it didn't lower it that much and the ride is fine, same.
I did see how all the boots on the joints are bad so I ordered a bunch. I can do most.
alignment next week then back to the dyno thing

Some of these were already mentioned and some not---

Install a hi-flow Catalytic converter.
Advance the timing a few degrees.
Install a high power ignition coil.
Shorten the gap on spark plugs and get good plugs and new wires.
Use Shell or Sunoco hi-test.
Install a K&N air filter.
This is the cheap way, will get about 30 more HP and 2 - 3 % increase in torque.

More expensive...$500-$1,200…exhaust headers and cherry bomb or Walker straight thru mufflers or a Borla exhaust system. Will get you 10 - 12 HP and 1 - 2 % more torque. Plus a nice sound!

Because of the cars computer and its factory settings, changing the timing, might nictitate reprogramming by an expert. The other changes, probably not.

You could consider a performance chip such as SCT Flash Tuner---about $400, which touts a 28 HP gain.
I had my custom muffler shop remove the factory resonators which really improved the sound from the borla 140081 system my next step is in ordering the magna flow 52099 set up stainless and it comes with 2 high flow converters and the 3 rd one that is right before the resonator. So in the end I will have magna flow from the manifold and borla from the car back without the resonator from borla which is brand new still and I will most likely sell it. I am keeping all of the stock parts I am upgrading. Right now I have the air intake system factory and the factory radio plus the full factory exhaust all my parts are from my 2003 premium. Right now I am tackling on project a week until I’m done.

Some of these were already mentioned and some not---

Install a hi-flow Catalytic converter.
Advance the timing a few degrees.
Install a high power ignition coil.
Shorten the gap on spark plugs and get good plugs and new wires.
Use Shell or Sunoco hi-test.
Install a K&N air filter.
This is the cheap way, will get about 30 more HP and 2 - 3 % increase in torque.

More expensive...$500-$1,200…exhaust headers and cherry bomb or Walker straight thru mufflers or a Borla exhaust system. Will get you 10 - 12 HP and 1 - 2 % more torque. Plus a nice sound!

Because of the cars computer and its factory settings, changing the timing, might nictitate reprogramming by an expert. The other changes, probably not.

You could consider a performance chip such as SCT Flash Tuner---about $400, which touts a 28 HP gain.
I’m still putting together all of my upgrades I have my appt in like two weeks with the SCT tuner guy with dyno testing. Just wondering I will have done all of the upgrades by the time I take him the car just wondering what to expect the horsepower to the wheels will be. I know ford states 280 but that is 280 rated at the fly wheel not to the ground. I’m hoping that with all the upgrades I would be happy if she put down 280 to 300 to the ground can’t wait to see the numbers. Just wondering if anyone has done these upgrades and had theirs dyno and post the horse power to the ground numbers

1- SCT Tuner
3- Exhaust 03-05 or 2002

Also magnaflow offers the high flow catalytic converters set direct fit for the 11th gen thunderbirds part number is 52099 this is all stainless and you get the three cats the two main cats that come right off the manifold and then down to the third one this is the one you might be able to talk your installer out of putting in lol for a little bit more sound but not much. So I’m in the end I will have cat forward magna flow I will have magnaflow cats straight piped all the way to the resonators had those cut out and then straight piped to the rear to the borla mufflers. It really sounds good and and virtually no restrictions in air flow. So the extra sir the k&N cold air typhoon intake to the rear borla mufflers. This is just a suggestion if you want to add a skittle more sound and keep that great borla tone just a little louder

The tone of the Borla varies in the beginning. You should hear the real sound at about the 500 mile mark. I was pleased enough with mine that I skipped the CAI.
I’ve just put right around 500 miles on my Borla’s and yes the sound of them seem to get better and better but I did also use the cold air intake fromK&N typhoon series and I had the stock resonators removed and went with the MagnaFlow high flow cats which will be installed next week and then the following week it’s goes to the tuner with the SCT live wire TS tuner and will get dialed in and ran on the dyno to make all adjustments. After talking to the guy that will be doing my tuning I’m starting to think that the SCT live wire is a very expensive tuner and could have went with a lot less expensive tuner with the same results the piece for the dyno and the the guy creating a custome tune is 300 bucks so I am hoping that this part is worth it he says it will be because the exhaust change and the cold air intake and removal of the resonators and the high flow cats the car will be running lean which he said he will fix all that but I’m excited to find out what the HP will be to the ground after all this has been done

I’ve just put right around 500 miles on my Borla’s and yes the sound of them seem to get better and better but I did also use the cold air intake fromK&N typhoon series and I had the stock resonators removed and went with the MagnaFlow high flow cats which will be installed next week and then the following week it’s goes to the tuner with the SCT live wire TS tuner and will get dialed in and ran on the dyno to make all adjustments. After talking to the guy that will be doing my tuning I’m starting to think that the SCT live wire is a very expensive tuner and could have went with a lot less expensive tuner with the same results the piece for the dyno and the the guy creating a custome tune is 300 bucks so I am hoping that this part is worth it he says it will be because the exhaust change and the cold air intake and removal of the resonators and the high flow cats the car will be running lean which he said he will fix all that but I’m excited to find out what the HP will be to the ground after all this has been done
But the car sounds great not to much and over bearing but it does sound good great tone I love taking it out

Just figured I would post up for anyone looking to up their performance and really have a great sound, so hear is what I’ve done to mine in the end to get the sound that I wanted through a lot of trial and error, this may help anyone get it right the first time, so to start mine is a 2003 premium thunderbird, so I took the advice on here and 1st put in the cold air intake K&N Typhoon, then I got the SCT live wire tuner which is part number 5051p which is the one that works on the thunderbird, MODERATOR NOTE: The 7015 - X4 Performance Tuner tuner works as well- http://amzn.to/2g8tPMp
then I bought the Borla 140081 touring exhaust cat back, but like most I had the same issue just wasn’t enough so from there I had my custom muffler shop take out the factory resonators, then drove around and I was like ok this sounds great but still not enough sound, so then I asked my muffler guys what else I could do and they stated that high flow cata would help so I shopped around for the best price which was 460 plus tax and got the magna flow direct fit high flow cats, after those were installed it really woke up the exhaust sound and still have that awesome Borla tone which I’m a big fan off. Lastly I wanted a little more so I had the mid cat removed this is the one that’s underneath the car and had stainless pipes and crossover section made. And that did it, the car sounds great it’s a lot louder but not over bearing,still have that great Borla tone through the mufflers and it’s not annoying loud and sounds like a leaking exhaust, it has a nice growl and feet deep tone. So if your looking for a great sound I would first do the cold air intake K&N typhoon, then get the magna flow high flow cats if you go to the magna flow website they have a direct fit system even though I’m only using 2 of the three cats it was still cheaper than buying each one separate. Then use the Borla cat back exhaust 140081 part number, but with this shop around cause all you really need are the Borla mufflers (for extra sound talk to your muffler shop and use a custom muffler shop ) they can put the Borla Ataks on it and that is pretty loud really depends on how much sound you want, for me I stuck with the Borla touring mufflers. The full Borla touring car back system will run you between 800 to as high as almost 1400, I bought mine from amazon and paid less than 900 with taxes and shipping, but since I’m only using the two mufflers, you could save more money by just having the mufflers installed and I had them remove the factory resonators. Lastly I also took out the main cat the one that is underneath the car, but to do that you will need the SCT tuner which gives you the option to turn off rear 02 sensor or you can try a non fouler to screw the 02 sensor in if you don’t have the SCT tuner but the non Foulers don’t always work and will sometimes still throw a code. Also please check your local laws and talk to a honest trust worthy mechanic before doing what I have done so you don’t have any trouble, all in all I have made my exhaust pretty loud when you get on it but even with all of these changes it’s still not over bearing and annoying loud it just sounds good, since I did all of mine by trial and error it cost me a lot more money than if I knew what I was wanting the first go around, could have saved a lot. So 1st K&N cold air then high flow MagnaFlow cats and don’t have the mid car underneath installed them from there have the resonators taken out then lastly put on the Borla mufflers the stainless steel pair will run you about 450 installed and around 580 for the cats. And labor and extra stainless pipe should run you about 300 to 400 for parts and labor maybe less depending on the shop. This is what I’ve done to mine and only posting this cause I wish I would have known this from the start could have saved me a nice nice chunk of change instead of buying all the stuff and in the end not using it all, but I got lucky and sold all the extra stuff and recovered most of the extra money I spent on the parts I did not need, I apologize this is rambling on message me for any questions if my post does it make sense on what I did. Thanks and happy driving

Thanks for lots of good information , but . . . I think a good first step in the exhaust search is the simple act of replacing mufflers at rear with straight pipes. My cost was $150 at a custom shop and the sound is right for me. If that's not the sound you like, many of the options above are still available.

COB

Coming in from a patrol.
1- SCT Tuner
3- Exhaust 03-05 or 2002

I did. Put on new Michelin Premier A/S’s and now takes nothing to break them lose. Taking mine to a tuner and getting a custom tune. Enjoy yours. Been playing around with Mustangs for years.

Thanks for lots of good information , but . . . I think a good first step in the exhaust search is the simple act of replacing mufflers at rear with straight pipes. My cost was $150 at a custom shop and the sound is right for me. If that's not the sound you like, many of the options above are still available.
Been thinking of doing the same straight pipes after the two pre cars which are high flow MagnaFlow and doing away with the main mid cat