Advice on buying a 2002

P

porkenstein

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
I am looking to buy a Thunderbird. I found a 2002 that's in mint condition with only 14000 miles on it but from what I have read so far it might be better to buy a different year due to various problems, especially with the ignition modules. Any advice greatly appreciated before I spend my hard earned money.

I am looking to buy a Thunderbird. I found a 2002 that's in mint condition with only 14000 miles on it but from what I have read so far it might be better to buy a different year due to various problems, especially with the ignition modules. Any advice greatly appreciated before I spend my hard earned money.
Having just done a lot of research before purchasing my 2005, I would suggest anyone go with an 03-05 (sorry 02 owners). The advantages are just to significant in my mind. Almost 30 hp extra, variable valve timing, select shiftable transmission, heated seats and even a padded, perfectly fitting boot cover. What I'd be interested in hearing are thoughts on the right mileage level. In my mind, I considered 50-70k to be the sweet spot for a 14 year old car. I wonder how much the low mileage cars (6-15k) suffer from sitting so much. Would love to hear from purchasers. In the end, I picked a 05 with 73k in the exact color combination I was looking for.

Thanks for your input. I think you may be right that buying super low mileage may be more negative than positive. Also the fact that they made so many changes in following years I think I'm going to keep looking. initially I was excited because of the low mileage and mint condition. Appreciate your feedback

Having just done a lot of research before purchasing my 2005, I would suggest anyone go with an 03-05 (sorry 02 owners). The advantages are just to significant in my mind. Almost 30 hp extra, variable valve timing, select shiftable transmission, heated seats and even a padded, perfectly fitting boot cover. What I'd be interested in hearing are thoughts on the right mileage level. In my mind, I considered 50-70k to be the sweet spot for a 14 year old car. I wonder how much the low mileage cars (6-15k) suffer from sitting so much. Would love to hear from purchasers. In the end, I picked a 05 with 73k in the exact color combination I was looking for.
I bought my 2002 Thunderbird "Velvet" in October. She had 51,000 miles and I agree... that is the sweet spot. Plus I know she was driven low miles every year, good for the fluids and charging system. I'm loving my 2002 and I haven't even had the hard top off yet!

The thing to remember is these cars are not hot sellers, so don't feel rushed to jump in and get it before someone else comes along and buys it out from under you. It will be there next week. There was a beautiful turquois blue Tbird that sat at my local Ford Dealer for over 2 years before it sold. Down side of that is there might not be a lot of 02-05 Tbirds for sale in your area. Just plan on widening your search to a couple hundred miles radius of your home.

Like someone said before the 03s and after got a few extra horse power. If you want a Inspiration Yellow Tbird - they were only made in 02. If I could have found an Inspiration Yellow that is what I would have got, but couldn't find one within 500 miles at time. 02 has hydraulic cooling fan, 03 and after went to electric fans.

I got an 03 and have had a lot of problems. I purchased mine 6 years ago - 50K miles. Replaced the Engine Control Module, COPs, plugs, entire front end, struts, leaky plastic parts on cooling system, AC compressor is bad, etc.. So I really can't recommend an 03 over an 02.

When test driving vehicle - check everything. Lights, radio, CD players, cruise control, proper operation of windows, electric seats, rear window defog, intermittent wipers, windshield washer (found out mine didn't work a year after purchase) check and see if automatic lights come on and off as suppose to. Automatic climate control, make sure all heat controls work and all heat vent doors open and close. Check power seats, trunk release. Power Top!! Make sure top goes up and down. If one little minor thing is wrong - leave! In fact turn and run. Other than maybe a 15 year old CD player not working I would leave. Small minor things in these cars seem to have a connection. You think a $1 turn signal not working is no problem then you find out it is related to the FEM - Front Electronic Module going out and it ends up affecting windows, lighting...…...

If you do all that and find nothing wrong - then put the thing on a lift and have em check the suspension. These cars are prone to rubber suspension bushings rotting away. I can't figure that one out because most of these cars are garage keep, not driven in the snow and rain, rock roads..... How in the hell can they rot away?? I talked to an owner who replace his suspension with only 20,000 miles. NEVER DRIVEN ON a less than picture perfect weather days.

Then when on lift - have em put a set of gauges on the AC and make sure compressor is giving the correct pressures. If everything checks out - then join the club.

Good luck. Mine has been a pain in the butt. But when it is late Fall and temps are starting to drop - I'll drop the top, turn on heated seats, turn up heat all the way I'll go cruising late into the night to see if I can still find that last glimpse of summer before she slips away for the year - then it is worth it.

I would first find the car that meets your price and mileage, then look at the year.
I have two 2002 models, only because we bought one when they first came out.
Just recently we bought another and went with another 2002 so they both would
share the same parts, and I could be familiar with both of them. What everyone
says about making sure everything works is spot on. Our 2002 has been trouble
free except suspension rotted out with only 12k miles, and always parked in a climate
controlled garage. The second 02 Bird only had 13k miles, everything works, but
some of the suspension was rotted, so I changed it all out. Have not had any problems
with hydrolic fan, and parts are plentiful and not expensive. The extra 30 horsepower
would not mean much to me, I rarely floor the car, and is plenty fast as it stands.
You will find more 2002 models, because that was the highest sales year in numbers.

I bought my 2002 brand new and drove it 175,000 miles; in 2015 I bought a 2005 with 34,000 miles to replace it. While both were great; I prefer the 2005 because of its power and heated seats, but the reason I replaced the 2002 with the 2005 is that I love the handling of the car, and never could justify buying anything else to replace. I'm a diehard fan.

I have a 2002 in Thunderbird blue with less than 11000 miles on it. The car is in mint condition. Just replaced the original tires. Keep it in the garage covered and with a commercial dehumidifier in the area. Take it our for rides on beautiful days only. Have had the car for two years with no problems. The dealer that I bought it from is in Connecticut, he bought it from the original owner, sold it to the second owner, and sold it for him to me. The car is in mint condition, appears to have been well maintained and I have had no problems with it. I don't need the additional horsepower that the 2003 - 2005s offer - the car is plenty fast for me. I bought the 2002 primarily because I love that Thunderbird blue color and it only came in 2002. I can't comment of what is the sweet spot for mileage, but when I buy a used car I look for low mileage and mint condition. The higher the mileage the more wear and tear.

My 2002 is just fine. The extra 30 hp would be nice but can't see much of a time when I'll need it. Other than the obvious maintenece issues and the suspension rot deal Ford's 2002 offering has served us well. All comes down to price and condition. Might say location as well. My wife just came back from Kansas, says similar T-Birds to ours are fetching $5k over the price here in northern Florida

Last edited:
Whether you need heated seats depends on where you live. I am in central
Texas, so do not need heated seats here. When I do look at used cars, I go for
lowest miles period. You never know how previous owner treated car.

two headed animal fore sure. Low miles can be good for originality and value. and a mid mileage car could have had the problems any car would experience but were fixed already. either way one thing if possible is to find out how it was kept up. mine had 86,000 miles on it and when I went to look at it from a private seller I used judgement on the owner. he had a few vehicles all in really nice shape and was working on rewiring a 1936 two ton truck nice one too. all this gave me cause to think he took good care of his cars including the bird.. it has been great for 7,000 miles so far . if the one you are looking at has one minor issue that to me would be a maybe but if it has multiple issues then surely do not buy it as if previous owner did not fix problems then most likely did not do good maintenance either.
I would not be too concerned with COPs or the suspension thing that if fixed will go for awhile and if not will most likely fail. not the end of the world for such a fun ride

It is my understanding that the ignition modules about which so many worry needlessly are the same on all the retro birds. I bought a spare set in case but they set in a cabinet in my garage. I drive my 04 about 12,000 miles a year and it now has over 175 k on the clock. Dont worry about maintenance issues, this car is fun to drive get one and enjoy it.

Just purchased my first Tbird in January. It’s a 2002 that I purchased from my Dad. Tbird blue with 65,000 miles.

I’m not going to comment on the whole 2002 vs newer argument. I will say that my 2002 has no issues. I have not inspected the suspension yet for failed bushing,etc but that happens on all years.

My Dad replaced 2 or 3 of the cops and a fuel pump. I think he also replaced the valve cover gasket. Other than that he performed routine maintenance. Heck I even fixed the jammed CD player.

I’m sure the extra 30 hp is nice but having just sold a 73 corvette I love the power and ride of my Bird.

I live in TN and don’t plan to ride much in the cold months so not having heated seats is no big deal. I hardly use them in my daily car.

Good luck on your search. The hunt is half the fun.

I have 2002 bought with 4866 miles ( like new) on it, now has 7856 and never a problem. Used only on nice days and stored in climate controlled garage along with my other two collector cars.

good luck the hunt was part of the fun. I bought an 03 with 67000 miles on her about six months ago. We drive it every day down here in La. My only issue is the rotten rubber boots on suspension parts, a, fixing that soon. I don't know that the extra power would effect me that much I like to cruise, if I want to go fast get out my old big block and hammer it a little and get back in my bird. Hope you find the bird you want.

I bought a 2003 TBird last October, with 24.5K miles on it, and had been avoiding the 2002 models, mainly because of all I had heard about the ignition coils. Forget it ... my 2003 had the same issue, right after I bought it, one or several ignition coils failed, and I ended up replacing all of them and new plugs at the same time. I have learned that this is pretty much a problem with any of the Tbirds from 2002-2005. I think the 2002's tended to have more issues, due to water getting to the coils, due to a cowl problem. Just my 2 cents. The only other thing that drove me to the 2003-2005 models was the slightly better performing engine (280 hp) with the variable valve timing. Other than that, I would think if you get the 2002 at a good price, go for it ... just be prepared for typical maintenance items these cars are known to have. In the end ... a truly blast to own and drive!!!

I bought a 2002 with 76000 miles. I found out (on this forum from slingshot) that it was one of the FIRST 200 retro birds built. Show me a 2003-2005 that can boast that. As far as 30 extra hp...how fast can you drive it anyway. They all had weak suspensions...and it doesn't matter what car...what year...what ever...there is always the fact that something can malfunction. I LOVE my 02 and I DON'T wish it to be a different year.

Attachments

• 20180907_153232.jpg
    20180907_153232.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I bought a 2002 TBird two years ago from the son of the original owner. The year was not an issue for me but the color and mileage was. I had to travel 500 miles to find the vehicle I wanted which was Thunderbird Blue (my wife’s favorite color) and a reasonable 20,650 miles. Prior to purchase, I spent about 3 hours checking over the car, from the suspension to the radio and everything was in excellent condition. The things that convinced me to purchase this car was the condition of the paint, absolutely no chips or scratches anywhere, the soft top was like new and the engine compartment was spotless. All this and the fact it never was driven in the rain and always garaged assured me this was more than a used retro bird. With the original tires, I was a little apprehensive about driving the 500 miles back home, but I did with no problems.
After two years, new tires and an additional 3,300 miles, I have not had a single issue only the pure pleasure of owning it. I may have paid a little more for this car but I have no regrets and would do it all again......because it was exactly what I wanted.

I bought a 2002 TBird two years ago from the son of the original owner. The year was not an issue for me but the color and mileage was. I had to travel 500 miles to find the vehicle I wanted which was Thunderbird Blue (my wife’s favorite color) and a reasonable 20,650 miles. Prior to purchase, I spent about 3 hours checking over the car, from the suspension to the radio and everything was in excellent condition. The things that convinced me to purchase this car was the condition of the paint, absolutely no chips or scratches anywhere, the soft top was like new and the engine compartment was spotless. All this and the fact it never was driven in the rain and always garaged assured me this was more than a used retro bird. With the original tires, I was a little apprehensive about driving the 500 miles back home, but I did with no problems.
After two years, new tires and an additional 3,300 miles, I have not had a single issue only the pure pleasure of owning it. I may have paid a little more for this car but I have no regrets and would do it all again......because it was exactly what I wanted.
Wow. I got my 2002 yellow Third two years ago this Mother's Day, also from the son of the original owner. Dad drove it once a week to the liquor store, but I didn't press for more info about that subject. It had 54000 miles, it stayed in the garage, and everything was super clean, even the yellow interior. Of course, the CD player had jammed the day before I bought it. The seller took off $500 for that, and I paid $11000. So far it's been great. I took it to the Ford dealership in the town where we met the seller, halfway between us. They did a check and said I'd need one thing in the next year, and sure enough, I did. But it was not the COPs. I cannot keep the car in my garage, and I drive it to work like normal. I love driving it and it was worth waiting 15 years to get it. I could have bought a red with only 6000 miles but I knew if I waited I'd find exactly what I wanted. One of the best aspects is all the looks, the people I meet that ask about it, and the (even older than I am) gentlemen that pull up next to me at a traffic light and want to talk about my Third.

I looked for about a year all up and down the east coast. After learning a lot on this website I settled on an '04 or '05 to get the better VVT engine, wanted a Merlot with sand interior package. Heated seats and hardtop were a must for me. I wanted a daily driver quality car since that was how I would use it and to help keep the price down. In the end I found an '04 just the way I wanted it with ~59k and a few chips and nicks - perfect for me - just 20 miles from my home! Everyone comments on the car and it always turns heads around town. The only work needed was to replace all the rubber boots on the suspension - the joints themselves were all fine, just the boots. Later I replaced the battery.
I love driving it everyday! (Life is too short to drive boring cars!)

Back