Advice- Hunting a 64-66

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
P

Philt

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello All,
Last year I bought my first classic bird. A 61 that happen to cross my path. It was a dead ringer for the car my father and I took our last car drive together..lots of memories. In Nov, I happened across a unique 56.
A good friend has owned a Minter 55 for a while and my wife loved the Thunderbird green color so added a 56 it to the stable.
Now the 61 and 56 are about through their refresh, thinking about a 64-67. The "Square bird" does not appeal to me but the 64 does. Maybe its is the James Bond thing.
Any owners care to suggest avoids? The 428 any year have particular weakness?
I have a lot to say about the 61 and its 390...been a joy so far. The 312 in the 56 is also a stout engine although the FordoMatic is not a favorite.
Hope to hear for the clan, you have been a major help in my Thunderbird adventures. Thanks in advance
Phil in Tenn

Mine is a 1964. I don't know what you're looking for in terms of mechanics vs. style, but I can tell you this: the 64 is mechanically the same car as a 63, with a different body. The 65 has the same body as a 64, but mechanically they're very different. The 65 has disk brakes, sequential turn signals, new front suspension and steering, the doors/windows are different mechanically, the motor is basically the same but has different manifold and valve covers (oil filler has moved), transmission is different, 65 was the first with double-edged keys, steering column is different (they both suck), and I'm sure there are plenty of other changes. If I could go back in time and buy my car again, I might have sprung for a 65-66 instead. But there's really nothing wrong with my 64, aside from it being a real project car.

I have a 65 convertible I am looking to sell. It has some rust on the left back panel and I am having some top opening problems but if you want to discuss it with me my # 601-259-9358.

I have a 65 convertible I am looking to sell. It has some rust on the left back panel and I am having some top opening problems but if you want to discuss it with me my # 601-259-9358.
Hello Marshall,
Thanks for the response. A 65 convertible is likely the most interesting candidate. Typically I buy the best, cleanest driver class I can find. Often it is a older restoration that needs a bit of refresh. But sometimes you dont know what size your project is until you own it. What color is your 65? Any pictures and where is it located?
feel free to respond direct to
pwtrusty@*********

Might be finally selling my 65 this spring. It was restored in the early 2000’s and it’s been here since the mid 90’s. I just don’t drive it as much as I like anymore. Before my father passed away we used to go to a lot of car shows with this and a few other birds we had here and it always did very well.77A4842B-3480-4F74-A8F8-378A21CEF117.jpeg

Might be finally selling my 65 this spring. It was restored in the early 2000’s and it’s been here since the mid 90’s. I just don’t drive it as much as I like anymore. Before my father passed away we used to go to a lot of car shows with this and a few other birds we had here and it always did very well.View attachment 3265
Hello from Nashville Tn
Thnaks for responding. I can understand your attachement to your 65. Stumbled onto my 61 last year and was not looking for a Bird but ir was a dead ringer for the car my father and I drove . He always favored a truck.
It is early in my hunt, but would like to hear does yours hardtop have a/c? Any up grades? What are the issues?
Where is the car located?
contact me at pwtrusty@*********

Hello from Nashville Tn
Thnaks for responding. I can understand your attachement to your 65. Stumbled onto my 61 last year and was not looking for a Bird but ir was a dead ringer for the car my father and I drove . He always favored a truck.
It is early in my hunt, but would like to hear does yours hardtop have a/c? Any up grades? What are the issues?
Where is the car located?
contact me at pwtrusty@*********
i bought my first tbird last February it is a 65 convertible. It sat in a barn since 1972 motor was pulled out then and it sat like that until i bought it. Ilike the grill and bumpers on a 65 more then the 66 but most 66 had a C6 tranny so i found a 66 parts car for the tranny and any thing that i might have needed. To do the the tranny swap you need a different cross member so it was worth the cost of a parts car. Keep in mind convertibles in average to above average condition are close to twice the value and seem to be going up.

Mine is a 1964. I don't know what you're looking for in terms of mechanics vs. style, but I can tell you this: the 64 is mechanically the same car as a 63, with a different body. The 65 has the same body as a 64, but mechanically they're very different. The 65 has disk brakes, sequential turn signals, new front suspension and steering, the doors/windows are different mechanically, the motor is basically the same but has different manifold and valve covers (oil filler has moved), transmission is different, 65 was the first with double-edged keys, steering column is different (they both suck), and I'm sure there are plenty of other changes. If I could go back in time and buy my car again, I might have sprung for a 65-66 instead. But there's really nothing wrong with my 64, aside from it being a real project car.

Hey Gary. I was reading this post and am interested in how the front suspension changed in the '65. Is there anything worth grafting onto our '64s? Other than disc brakes that is. Thanks, Doug

I can't tell you the specifics, as I'm not exactly the experienced mechanic here. Possibly someone else could chime in who knows more. But I know the steering system is very different, and I'm sure much of the suspension is as well, mainly to accommodate the disk brakes. Disk conversion kits are available for the 64; I've only heard good things about them, but I also know that at least one version of the kit is made by the same people who make wire wheels -- the ones that gave me so much trouble from the first day, and one eventually collapsed, that I got them off the car and replaced them (with Coker). I can't trust them with wheels, I'm not going to trust them with brakes! My opinion with brakes hasn't changed; drum brakes were used for over half a century and tested over trillions of miles, and when in good condition they're fine. Disks are indeed a better design, but not so much better that I should rebuild the entire front suspension just to get them, especially when the originals were made by Ford (or an authorized supplier) and the replacements were made by a group of guys in a back warehouse on the outskirts of Hicksville. Just my opinion.

I HAVE heard of people taking the components from a 1965-66 parts car and fitting them onto a 1964. To me, this would make more sense, but I have no idea how difficult the project would be. I'm looking at liability as well as overall design. Imagine getting into an accident, and some lawyers ganging up on the condition of your antique car. Then they find out that the original Ford brakes were replaced by a conversion kit from Bird Bath Parts, made by Tinkertown using components from Fung-Chu-Poi. When it comes to safety, I'd rather keep it Ford, or a respected brand like NAPA.

So many lawyer jokes, so little time...

Thanks Gary

Doug

Back