Adjusting trunk on a 2002 T Bird

edward301
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The Torch Red 02 Bird I just recently bought, the trunk did not close as tight as my white one,
so I decided to dig in and see how to adjust.

For some reason Ford does not give you the ability to adjust the trunk. Was only off at best
1/4 inch, but I like things just right. So got to latch assembly, and no way to adjust. Had to
drill out the holes for the bolts to make some wiggle room.

Trunk now closes flush with body, and happy with it now.

Also looks like car had a new battery installed last year before I bought it, if reading code correctly.Trunk latch.JPG T Bird battery.JPG

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Can't tell in your photos, is the battery vent tube attached?

Glad you are pleased with the trunk alignment.

Battery vent tube? Now I have to go look.. What does it look like.. I guess they would have to vent a battery if it’s in the trunk right?
located on end towards back of car near the top difficult sometimes to see but you can feel along top edge of battery

First thing I did when I got the car was go through the trunk, and the vent tube was
not connected. I did connect it right then.

The Torch Red 02 Bird I just recently bought, the trunk did not close as tight as my white one,
so I decided to dig in and see how to adjust.

For some reason Ford does not give you the ability to adjust the trunk. Was only off at best
1/4 inch, but I like things just right. So got to latch assembly, and no way to adjust. Had to
drill out the holes for the bolts to make some wiggle room.

Trunk now closes flush with body, and happy with it now.

Also looks like car had a new battery installed last year before I bought it, if reading code correctly.View attachment 3443 View attachment 3444
How old is your spare? If it’s the original, it’s dangerous.

It is original, has no cracks in it, only had about 24 lbs. I did air it up to 65lbs
and no bulges, or cracks. I let air out of it back to 24lbs. Will be fine for me as
a spare, since car never leaves town. I have a air pump in the trunk. My other
t Bird also has original spare. Same deal.

Battery vent tube? Now I have to go look.. What does it look like.. I guess they would have to vent a battery if it’s in the trunk right?

Hope the picture helps.

Looked here as I am interested in a trunk rack set up like a friend had. He actually bought a second trunk lid and permanently affixed a corvette trunk rack. Says he and his wife change them out when going on long trips. Anyone know how trunk lid gets taken off.

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the photo.. I will have to look when I get home this evening.. BTW saw my first car driving down I81.. It was a late model Vett.. Upper 65 degrees today in Syracuse.. Most of the snow is gone and bright sunshine.. Still a trace of salt on the roads but we are getting there.. Amen..

I did the same thing when I got my 2002. I slotted the holes on the trunk latch and pushed it down about 1/4 inch. That small amount makes a big cosmetic difference.

Back