adjust new rear clamps on a 1957 thunderbird hard top

Lionel

Lionel

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
How do you get the correct adjustment on the rear hard top hold downs

Loosen allen head set screw & screw in or out until prper adjustment reached& thentighten set screw

One rear latch spring broke on my hard top and one on my soft top. I have the springs. So the latch shaft unscrews from the handle once the set screw is loosened and then I can unscrew chrome cover to get to the spring? I need to polish the covers up anyway. If it pretty simple to figure out one I get the set screw loose? I've soaked it in penetrating oil.

Ward, your description of how best to cleanup and adjust the hardtop latch shaft assembly was very helpful. I believe my latches have no springs or they are broken. They just loosely flap. Do you or anyone else have images of one of these latches disassembled. I am especially interested in the spring type required If they are replaceable. Or do I need to purchase new latches?

It was a challenge. My top was hanging in the garage while the car was out for other servicing. I had to basically destroy my original latch pin to get it loose. You need to remove the pin to remove the mount. 20220706_153443.jpg Found the original spring was good but the tiny seat the in the handle elbow that the spring sat in was corroded and filled with debris. Used a small drill bit to manually clean out the little hole the spring sat in. The original spring had 6 turns and the replacement had only 5. Used the original spring but for the life of me I couldn't get the full snap back the other side has and tried to get the other 1/2 turn to have the same but it is now enough that it flips back to neutral but not the force of the other side. Polished up all the chrome while out and works well.
Just be aware you will need a right angle hand screwdriver or a loose bit with creative leverage and penetrating oil to keep it in the screw head to crack the mounting screws loose and plenty of patience. I used long nose vice grips to keep the driver tight into the screw head for the top screws and a wrench to turn the bit. Also used screw driver helper basically grit to keep from stripping the head. 20220629_133325.jpg
Found the aftermarket screws have a different thread count so polished up the originals to thread back in without stripping the original threads in the hard top fiberglass mount.
Now to the same issue with one of the soft top latches. Hope this helps, took me weeks of scratching my head on this one but 'Gotter done'. Also check the condition of the washers in there. 20220706_153443.jpg

Last edited:
Last post was very helpful but also interested in adjusting, cleaning and rebuilding if necessary the latches behind the rear door jam, see generic picture. These too are not holding tight and rattle. Do these also contain a spring?
468CE866-4AB4-45C4-B21E-9B880857DA4C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last post was very helpful but also interested in adjusting, cleaning and rebuilding if necessary the latches behind the rear door jam, see generic picture. These too are not holding tight and rattle. Do these also contain a spring?
No, they do not. The 'J' hook can be adjusted as well as the hooks on the windshield. There is a small allen screw which can be loosened and the hook can be turned in or out to adjust the length

Back