adding convertible top

Status
Not open for further replies.
R
Last seen
I have restored mustangs in the past but my wife wants a 55 to 57 convertible. I have an angle on a hard top only car wondering if you can add the soft top? Looks like tops cost around 3 grand new so, didn't know what I would be getting into. I am very mechanically inclined so can handle about anything, but is it worth it or should I just keep looking.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have restored mustangs in the past but my wife wants a 55 to 57 convertible. I have an angle on a hard top only car wondering if you can add the soft top? Looks like tops cost around 3 grand new so, didn't know what I would be getting into. I am very mechanically inclined so can handle about anything, but is it worth it or should I just keep looking.

rexbd:
Not clear from your posting, in a couple of areas:
* If you are referring to a 55-57 TBird with hard top only, then I assume that, that is all it has. That shouldn't mean that it never had a softop
* The Early Birds all had a soft top which resides in behind the front seat.

Now, if it was advertised as a hard top only, I can only assume that the ad means that the soft top bows may be there but the fabric is shot. I haven't heard of an early one without a softtop. Now I'm curious

First let me say, I don't know what Im talking about, but I thought there was an option for soft top, hardtop, or both. I'm pretty sure the soft top bow assembly can be added to one that doesn't have a soft top. Dot would know for sure....

Tbird expert mike biddle has this to say:
===============
Both tops were optional. It could even have been ordered without any top. and either top can be fitted to any 55-57 - if the correct hardware is ordered to match the top going on - they had differences in the handles from year to year. Bows are available for softtops.

Dot adds:

I missed his part about the cost - $3000 or more is about what to expect to pay to get the correct bows that fit the car with useable canvas. Make sure they're original bows and come with the swing arm that allows the top to be stored behind the seat and still be put up easily. If it's a 55, the later years are a better design, have an extra bow in them.

check this out http://www.amosminter.com/ctr300/index.htm there are some drawbacks i have heard i dont own one but overall a pretty good rating from those who have bought them. fit is not quite as nice and they tend to leak if it is raining to hard, keep in mind this is just what i have heard. Amos Minter also has lots of the real thing there for sale as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back