'95 Tbird - Cannot get A/C controller out of dash...

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
About 15 years ago this bird blew the AC/heater blower, and I bought Ford's special tool to pull the controller of the dash. It came loose alright, but only far enough to barely see the connectors at the back. No way to even get a finger on the connectors... Wire bundle too short...! Took the car to the Ford dealer and $400 later they had it working with a new controller in the dash.

Well, now it just happened again...! No Blow...! I used the same old tool, and once again, I could not get the controller far enough out of the dash to do anything with it... (I was hoping the dealer had untangled the wire bundle and now I would get it out.... but no such luck.)

In any case, I thought I'd hook up a wire directly from a 12V source to the blower to see if it spins. I did this with a wire running outside the car directly from the battery. When I touched the hot wire to the terminal in the connector, the blower spun up just like new...! Good news...!

So I conclude I have a bad controller. But what do I do about it if I can't get it out of there....? What does Ford know that I don't, that gets it out...?
Anybody here know that....????
Thanks for any help...!

You need the special removal tool but you can try and make one you need a metal coat hanger then cut two even lengths atleast eight inches longer wouldn't hurt then bend them making a horseshoe type bend then sticking them into the two holes on both sides of the A/C control panel you may fell a click or not but using this homemade tool try sliding the unit out you may need something slim to pry it out some but leaving the homemade tool inside the holes the entire time I hope this helps you out

You need the special removal tool but you can try and make one you need a metal coat hanger then cut two even lengths atleast eight inches longer wouldn't hurt then bend them making a horseshoe type bend then sticking them into the two holes on both sides of the A/C control panel you may fell a click or not but using this homemade tool try sliding the unit out you may need something slim to pry it out some but leaving the homemade tool inside the holes the entire time I hope this helps you out

What you just described he can already do as can I. Because I'm having the same issue once the unit is unlocked and slit out it only comes out about halfway at best and then the vacuum lines and connectors do not have enough slack in them to pull it out any further.. Does that mean you have to take a portion of the dash apart to get at the back of the AC controller

Back