92 5.0 Auto Transmission slipping and not catching

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all, any help is appreciated! We gave it a full tranny flush, we replaced the gromit (throttle linkage). I didnt want to replace the tranny but it is looking like that may well be the issue. She was running pretty good and then suddenly the gears wont kick in, when they do, its good. Reverse still works, the others, particularly 1st is just sending out revs and not making it to the wheels. I'm no mechanic, my husband is handy, but we can't figure this out. Is there something simple we might be over looking?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I'm new here. But not to Tbirds. I drove my Mamas baby blue 81 Tbird when I first drove. Got an 89 Lx for my first ride. When it started to break down, I upgraded to my 92 Tbird. I still have the 89 around for spare parts as they are similar looking cars but different engines and trannys, Im sure. Im hoping to bring the 92 back as my baby. I want to fix it up and put collectors plates on.

HI your trans has lost first mine has done the same so I'm pulling one from my other SC I'm kinda lucky I've got 5 of these Super coupe Bird's so you're going to have to replace it and don't buy into just replacing the first gear it will only lead to heart-ache down the road cause the rest will be following suit now if you are you can replace them with any 5.0 or 3.8 from a truck mustang to another bird long as the tail of the transmission is of equal length

So the tranny from my 3.8 89Tbird LX might fit? We have family in the tranny fixing business, so I might go that way too. Since I have to replace the tranny anyway now, I am considering putting a manual tranny in as I might want to race this beast some day. Does anyone know if you can race these with an auto tranny? I was told it has the racing chip slot and the 92s raced in Nascar I believe. I love my bird though and would like to use as it my daily driver too and I dont want a manual tranny for driving in the city. So I might just replace with an auto tranny, and possibly arrange for a manual tranny to be installed at a later time. Now I am wondering if putting a tranny from an older more milage car is a great idea or not. Also, will there be some power lost by installing a tranny from a 3.8?

I should maybe add that the car has been just sitting for 2 or 3 years, but was just barely slipping once it was up and running and has just gotten worse and worse for about a week until we did the tranny flush, which maybe helped a little but not really. Also there was no magnet in the pan,which we thought was really weird. It's supposed to have a magnet to collect all the metal shavings, no?

Yes sorry I didn't get back right away I've got 5 SC T-birds I'm restoring solo it's alot of work must of the time there is one but I see alot of them missing because misinformed and un-knowledgeable persons will take them out

Hey they sell some trans fluid at autozone it's in a blue and white bottle it helped with mine some nut then again I already knew it was already on it's way out I think I'm going to get my lazy arse and get it replaced this coming week I've been saying this for over a month now it's just a real pain to change out the trans on the SC models due to getting to the two top bolts because of the supercharger in the way of them a real monster almost easier to remove supercharger than dealing with those two bolts and even this is no easy task to remove either if you ever get an SC be warned they're a real pain to work on but worth it!

Hey. My hubby is the one who is going to work on my beast. I dont think he is thrilled about it but I love my Tbirds. I might have to find a matching one for cheap and see how it runs and use this one for parts. This engine purrs like a kitten though.

then keep it and get the trans, if it runs good I wouldn't go parting it out cause the next may have more serious surprises for you hard to get a good running t-bird at these ages

like I said the thunderbirds aren't that bad compared to the thunderbird supercoupes they're the monsters to work on totally different then the thunderbirds

Back