68-Bird - Do you know the answer ?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Excaliburss

Excaliburss

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all ! I have a 1968 T-Bird Landau Coupe 429.
Question :
Do I have to pull engine to change rear main seal or can it be done without?
Appreciate all help for this problem. Mine is leaking 3-4 drops a day

Hi all ! I have a 1968 T-Bird Landau Coupe 429.
Question :
Do I have to pull engine to change rear main seal or can it be done without?
Appreciate all help for this problem. Mine is leaking 3-4 drops a day
If you can get the oil pan off then you don't have to pull the motor. Kaase makes a one piece seal for the 429

Tx, Jrc for your reply, but still hope for more detailed answers - maybe from someone did this lately

Doubt you would get the oil pan off unless you unbolt the motor mounts and lift it enough to get past the cross member. Which would require you to disconnect the transmission most likely. I don't think there is enough space between the trans bell housing and the trans tunnel

To remove the oil pan you will need to undo the motor mounts and jack the motor up a bit. Block it in place with scrap 2x4 pieces. You don’t need to unbolt the tranny, it will move enough. If the pan won’t clear the rear of the crank shaft, bump the starter to move it out of the way. Be sure to pull the coil wire so it won’t start.

To remove the oil pan you will need to undo the motor mounts and jack the motor up a bit. Block it in place with scrap 2x4 pieces. You don’t need to unbolt the tranny, it will move enough. If the pan won’t clear the rear of the crank shaft, bump the starter to move it out of the way. Be sure to pull the coil wire so it won’t start.
Yeah I wasn't entirely sure about the transmission, though I would expect he would at least have to unbolt the transmission from its mount so it can lift up with the engine. I didn't think there was enough room in the trans tunnel. Still... A lot of work. Make absolutely sure your car is on firm jack stands and blocked on the rear tires. There is a A LOT of weight above you if you doing this on the ground.

EDIT: Also if he didn't want to bump the starter could he turn the motor by hand to get the crankshaft out of the way?

Yes to all that you mentioned, one among. Proper blocking etc is an absolute must. Turning the crank with a breaker bar would work and would remove the guessing.

Thanks all ! Sounds like lots of work for 2 drops of oil a day. I guess I wait a while and then - when I feel for it - pull the engine out, turn it around on the stand and work with this delicate gasket standing right up :)

Back