68 429 pinging/fluttering noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patrick
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Weird question. I have a 68 thunderbird that has a weird engine fluddering or pinging. At first I thought it was a carb issue so I replaced it. The sound isnt as bad but still is evident with hard acceleration. It is not evident when it is in ideal or is in drive as long as the pedal is slowly compressed. If the pedal is pressed hard when accelerating or pulling out of a stop it makes the noise until I step off the pedal. Any ideas?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Weird question. I have a 68 thunderbird that has a weird engine fluddering or pinging. At first I thought it was a carb issue so I replaced it. The sound isnt as bad but still is evident with hard acceleration. It is not evident when it is in ideal or is in drive as long as the pedal is slowly compressed. If the pedal is pressed hard when accelerating or pulling out of a stop it makes the noise until I step off the pedal. Any ideas?
Pinging is generally a fuel and or timing issue and originates from the valve train/combustion chamber. Do you know if the heads have been rebuilt to run on today's unleaded fuels or do you use a lead additive? Leaded fuels of the past are what helped to lubricate and seal the valve seats.

Pinging is generally a fuel and or timing issue and originates from the valve train/combustion chamber. Do you know if the heads have been rebuilt to run on today's unleaded fuels or do you use a lead additive? Leaded fuels of the past are what helped to lubricate and seal the valve seats.
I just got the car so I have no idea I was told to add octane booster do you think thatll help?

I run my car on 95 octane and lead additive. This way it gives me a smooth ride and no pinging under acceleration. You ruin your engine if you keep on driving without lead additive. Any gas station should have that. The product is mostly from Wynn's. Good luck !

Patrick, would you mind posting a bigger picture of you car ? Like to see that right rear view mirror you got there on your vehicle. You must be one of few who has one ( if original )
Thanks

Patrick, would you mind posting a bigger picture of you car ? Like to see that right rear view mirror you got there on your vehicle. You must be one of few who has one ( if original )
Thanks
I will but it was placed aftermarket not has high as the orginal one so I bought different aftermarket ones still not exactly where they need to be but decent enough to use

If you know how to use a timing light, check the timing and then see if retarding it a degree or two makes it go away. Also make sure the vacuum advance on the distributor is working correctly.

Thanks for reply on my request,Patrick! I thought I found after looking all over the net a guy who has an original right rear view mirror on his car.....

I miss my 429s, ran them for years. I found that it was the fuel, even with premium fuel I had to run octane booster or gasohol as it was known which was premium plus ( that blows the whole ethanol water story to bits). Tail pipes were white with octane booster and light gray with gasohol, never a preignite sound out of them even under had acceleration.

Never had any issues just running premium 93 or higher. Remember the octane method of the 60's was different than the method of today. So as long as you make sure to run high test you should be okay. I have done a lot of digging around and the whole leaded gas/valvetrain issue seems to be more of a myth than fact. Research yourself if you want.

Make sure the timing is set accurately. It will make noises under hard accelerations if the timing is off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back