67 T-Bird No power to any dash gauges

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
DEVIL DOG 62

DEVIL DOG 62

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just recently bought this car and nothing on the dash works except speedometer. Alt, Oil pressure, Fuel gauge. None of these work. Car starts and runs fine besides this flaw

Thanks buddy I just ordered one. I'll keep you posted on the results. Is it located on the back of the dash panel?

What motor? Makes a huge difference. 390? 428? 67 tbird didn't have the 429 so you need to let us know that first. Fuel gauge could be the sending unit in the tank itself. Don't bother with the voltage gauge. It never really moved from the factory anyway. It's how they set it up that it really never got much voltage sent to it in the first place so it barely ever moved. Temperature sensor could be the sensor itself. I am not sure where it is, but I would wager its near the thermostat housing itself. There has to be an oil pressure sensor as well. Find them first before digging through your dash.

The 70s Fords have a special voltage regulator just for the dash instruments. After checking fuses you could look into that, although I don't know that would affect the alternator without having the schematic in front of me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1967-1968-Mustang-Instrument-Cluster-Voltage-Regulator-Solid-State-Quality/272443695092?fits=Make:Ford&hash=item3f6ee8dff4:g:J-YAAOSw7PBTm1gH:sc:USPSFirstClass!13224!US!-1&vxp=mtr
I am not sure if the Mustang one works for the tbird. I'd caution checking the sensors themselves before replacing that.

its a 390. 2 Door. All fuses in fuse box are good. No power going to the oil sensor , temp sensor wires when I start the engine. If I run a hot jumper wire to either of them the gauges go all the way over & peg themselves out

Sounds like the power supply (regulator). They are an electro-mechanical part so they do wear out. Their function is to open and close the voltage to the instruments so that it averages around 5-7 Volts I believe. They do this by heating up a bi-metal spring with contacts on it. Putting 12V on them will def peg them so I would not do that again.

Sounds like the power supply (regulator). They are an electro-mechanical part so they do wear out. Their function is to open and close the voltage to the instruments so that it averages around 5-7 Volts I believe. They do this by heating up a bi-metal spring with contacts on it. Putting 12V on them will def peg them so I would not do that again.
Is that power supply (regulator) behind the dash panel with the gauges? I ordered one and just got it today

It says it's behind the clock and you can take out the clock without removing the whole dash panel. Anyone know how to remove the clock on a 67 T_BIRD without removing the dash panel. I can't find any videos about it on youtube

Back