66 steering box removal tool

Ltd
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
19))
I’m resurrecting a 66 hardtop. Pulling out the steering box. Found out there’s only one way out. Remove Pitman arm. Lift box up and out. The 3 round mounting discs are shot. That thing is heavy. I had the power brake booster out, needs a rebuild, won’t hold vacuum. Proportioning valve, rust bucket. The shop manual says there’s a special tool for the steering box rubber mounts. Anyone just use a pair of vice grips?D0699C23-8C19-4D84-BEA0-C7E21FA3760E.jpeg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

use a pipewrench
Here’s the story. Of the three isolators, one was loose, the other two needed some thermal wrenching, one had to be drilled and tapped.
Pipe wrench would work except for the bolt separating from the isolator. The drilling, tapping was unexpected, but job done!

I’m resurrecting a 66 hardtop. Pulling out the steering box. Found out there’s only one way out. Remove Pitman arm. Lift box up and out. The 3 round mounting discs are shot. That thing is heavy. I had the power brake booster out, needs a rebuild, won’t hold vacuum. Proportioning valve, rust bucket. The shop manual says there’s a special tool for the steering box rubber mounts. Anyone just use a pair of vice grips?View attachment 9721
looks nasty

I used a pipe wrench to remove mine.

Je ressuscite un 66 hardtop. Extraction du boîtier de direction. J'ai découvert qu'il n'y avait qu'une seule issue. Retirez le bras Pitman. Soulever la boîte vers le haut et vers l'extérieur. Les 3 disques de montage ronds sont tirés. Ce truc est lourd. J'ai eu le servofrein assisté, j'ai besoin d'une reconstruction, je ne retiens pas le vide. Soupape de dosage, seau à rouille. Le manuel d'atelier indique qu'il existe un outil spécial pour les supports en caoutchouc du boîtier de direction. Quelqu'un utilise-t-il une paire de pinces-étau ?View attachment 9721
Bonjour de France, j'ai un cabriolet de 1964 et je dois démonter le boîtier de direction. Je ne comprends pas comment le sortir de sous la voiture !! Je ne peux pas. Pouvez-vous m'aider s'il vous plaît ? Merci beaucoup.

Back