66 convertible top not working

T

Thunderbird66

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Recently acquired a 66 thunderbird. When I try to actuate the top nothing happens. No motor sounds, no Hydraulic sounds of any kind, the fuses are all intact. Not exactly sure where to go from here any advice would be helpful on what to do or check next.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I updated your subject which is the most important part of a post if you want responses. 66 convertible top could mean anything.

First think you need to do is get a schematic of the top wiring system. If it is anything like the 63 it relies on limit switches and relays.
Buzzy

Where are you located? I know an expert on Thunderbird tops in Florida, his primary job is fixing them. The system is very complicated, unlikely you will be able to fix it yourself

Recently acquired a 66 thunderbird. When I try to actuate the top nothing happens. No motor sounds, no Hydraulic sounds of any kind, the fuses are all intact. Not exactly sure where to go from here any advice would be helpful on what to do or check next.
First thing to check is the neutral safety switch if shifter is not in park or neutral you have no voltage to tops operators switch. Easiest way is to place in park and turn ignition switch if starter engages neutral safety switch is satisfied. With key in on position try lowering top first sequence is the trunk will unlock lock swittch is now made or should be and trunk will open you need to get this far to troubleshoot the rest of the sequencing. First thing to check if neutral saferty switch allows you to start engine. There are two components to deliver control voltage and power voltage there is a relay on my 1965 bird that allows power to control side of all circuits as well as circuit breaker located near the battery on the 65 it is mounted base of battery tray area. If you can get this far you can most likely proceed to check the whole top's systems. I have talked to And bought parts from Tom down in florida he is near Daytona you will definetly need a convertible top manual or the shop manual to fully understand its operation. If you have any electrical trouble shooting skills its not impossible to repair its is just old school technology. I dont know if Tom wants his number published here if you do need parts so let me know ill try and contact him and pass on our contact info.

Thank you for your reply. I have worked on the car prior when I was younger so I do have direct experience with this car in particular. I do also have the original service manuals. Just looking for a place to start. The car has been sitting for a year or more which I understand is a problem in itself but it starts right up with no hesitation or leaks so I’ll count that at a win. When the car is running there is no noise, no rear deck lid movement, nothing. Looks like I need to dive deeper into those manuals

You will probably have to take the rear seat out to access all the relays and wiring, particularly if the trunk will not open

Back