66 brake proportioning valve

KandyOrangeZ

KandyOrangeZ

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Im in need of a new proportioning valve for my 66. Mine is badly rusted and not serviceable. Looks as if there's no longer an oem style replacement. What are my options??

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Try Pat Wilson Tbird parts ( Pat Wilson's Thunderbird Parts ~ 375 Rt 94 ~ Fredon ~ NJ ~ 07860
Phone: 973-579-7205 / 888-262-1153 ~ Fax: 973-579-2011)

Try Pat Wilson Tbird parts ( Pat Wilson's Thunderbird Parts ~ 375 Rt 94 ~ Fredon ~ NJ ~ 07860
Phone: 973-579-7205 / 888-262-1153 ~ Fax: 973-579-2011)

I got the rebuild kit from them .
Upon recieving it I realized it's so rusty its going to be tough to service.

They do offer an aftermarket adjustable valve, anyone familiar with that?

Is your original valve just rusty inside if it just rusty and no deep pits, you might try using a brake hone and and polish it up and then rebuild it.

Is your original valve just rusty inside if it just rusty and no deep pits, you might try using a brake hone and and polish it up and then rebuild it.

It's so rusty, snap ring won't even budge allowing to open it up

On the 1965 Thunderbird, when you get the valve apart and are replacing seals on the movable brass "piston", can anyone verify which way the lips of the two seals face? I am guessing that they both face toward the output end of the valve as pictured. Is this correct?
prop valve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Youtuber, joernone, is repairing a '66 TBird. The starting point for your information is "1966 Ford Thunderbird repair and refurbishment (Part 61).

"
".

Let me know if the information is useful.

Thanks, John. Joe's video shows that the seals face each other, so I need to turn my larger seal around. In Joe's next installment #62, we see he has chosen a new, relatively inexpensive Summit Racing adjustable valve he intends to substitute for his marginalized original Kelsey-Hayes. Interesting. I already spent the money for the seals kit and damnable postage, so we'll see how my old valve with some rough spots in the bore (like Joe's had) eventually performs. I think reduction of pressure to the rear brakes provided by even a so-so valve may still be a good thing.
Thank you for directing me to just the right place. Also, I'd like to add to Joe's comments the caution that when cleaning up one of the old valves, one must clear the tiny "atmospheric" hole in the groove encircling the outer valve body. Joes valve was missing the rubber covering and looks like the hole was painted over. Joe didn't go that far with his old valve to make this discovery , and probably made a wise decision.

White Post restorations can re-sleeve them. They might be the same as 65-66 Mustang with front disk brakes. I know it sounds strange, but my 65 Mustang and my mom's 65 Bird used the same brake caliper kits!

Back