65 Muffler Replacement

newenglandtbird

newenglandtbird

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Looking to potentially replace the mufflers on my '65 with the 390. Is there any specific brands out there that seem better than others with regards to sound and fitment? Doesn't have to be an OEM style muffler either, just want it to sound nice and be appropriate for my original looking car. I'd always put Flowmaster 40-series on anything I had in the past, but never done a t-bird exhaust and not sure how the rectangular chamber styled mufflers would fit underneath. I also don't think the 40-series mufflers would sound right as they might be too aggressive with my stock car.

i had flowmaster copies installed on my 65 with 3" pipes from the h pipe back with 12" long chrome tips and it sounded awesome. '

i had flowmaster copies installed on my 65 with 3" pipes from the h pipe back with 12" long chrome tips and it sounded awesome. '
Nice to hear that Flowmasters worked on your '65. When you say copies, what do you mean? I see that their laminar flow mufflers look like my stock ones, but not sure if that's what you meant by copies.

they were built just like the flowmasters but about 70.00 dollars apiece cheaper

I have a video of it running but this site will not let me upload it

Looking to potentially replace the mufflers on my '65 with the 390. Is there any specific brands out there that seem better than others with regards to sound and fitment? Doesn't have to be an OEM style muffler either, just want it to sound nice and be appropriate for my original looking car. I'd always put Flowmaster 40-series on anything I had in the past, but never done a t-bird exhaust and not sure how the rectangular chamber styled mufflers would fit underneath. I also don't think the 40-series mufflers would sound right as they might be too aggressive with my stock car.

Yeah I agree, I wouldn’t put too aggressive a Muffler. The best for convertibles are dynamax unless you’re going OEM. Magnaflow’s are OK for hard tops but I definitely would not do flow masters. Too noisy and droning sounding.

I'm running Magnaflows on my hardtop. I hear they are a little quieter than Flowmasters, so it depends on the sound you want, which can also be influenced by whether or not you have headers and the diameter of the exhaust pipe system.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree, I wouldn’t put too aggressive a Muffler. The best for convertibles are dynamax unless you’re going OEM. Magnaflow’s are OK for hard tops but I definitely would not do flow masters. Too noisy and droning sounding.

Personally I like Thunderbird’s to sound factory so I always go OEM. Just me

This is all good feedback; I appreciate the responses.

I agree that I don't want it to be aggressive, which is where the Flowmaster's didn't really make sense. And as I do have a hardtop, don't want it to be droning either. Mostly just want the strong sound that naturally comes from the 390 without it sounding too hot-roddy.

This is all good feedback; I appreciate the responses.

I agree that I don't want it to be aggressive, which is where the Flowmaster's didn't really make sense. And as I do have a hardtop, don't want it to be droning either. Mostly just want the strong sound that naturally comes from the 390 without it sounding too hot-roddy.
Hey there newenglandtbird. Come out here to Santa Cruz, CA and you can hear what the 390 with Magnaflows sounds like. Not to mention, dangle your feet in the Pacific ocean.

Doug

Hey there newenglandtbird. Come out here to Santa Cruz, CA and you can hear what the 390 with Magnaflows sounds like. Not to mention, dangle your feet in the Pacific ocean.

Doug
I like the wheels and tires on that black 64 coupe Doug . I have a black 65 coupe that I was considering doing that too. Looks pretty cool

I like the wheels and tires on that black 64 coupe Doug . I have a black 65 coupe that I was considering doing that too. Looks pretty cool

Attachments

• 4BB72DDA-2A2C-41C5-B6C1-25C3753B0F72.jpeg
    4BB72DDA-2A2C-41C5-B6C1-25C3753B0F72.jpeg
    479.7 KB · Views: 1
  • E3E6C072-91CB-4938-B259-5EDF9FB12BAC.jpeg
    E3E6C072-91CB-4938-B259-5EDF9FB12BAC.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 1
Hi there Rom234. That's a great looking '65!

Hi there Rom234. That's a great looking '65!

Thanks, that’s my daily driver. Cold AC, everything works except the cruise control which was a very rare option for 65. I’m not too concerned about getting it working as there’s more plumbing and vacuum to that option then in the rest of the entire car

Ah, so not a garage queen:). 390 motor?

Doug
Would love to. Don't normally make it up north when I do go to California, but if I do, I'll look you up!

Back