65 Bird Steering Issue

Javelin
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi Everyone

My 65 has developed a bad pull to the right recently. This happened quite suddenly, one trip there was no issue and the next it began to pull. If you let go of the steering wheel, the car wants to go directly to the ditch. There is no shake or wobble in the steering, just a steady pull to the right. I checked the tire pressures and all was good, checked the brakes and there is no indication of anything dragging there. Now when I start the car, you can see and feel the steering pull to the right as soon as the engine starts.
I took the car into a local garage and the mechanic indicated that the problem was the steering box. Given the time and effort it takes to remove and replace the steering box, I wanted to ask on the forum just to make sure that it is not something other than the steering box such as the power steering pump.

I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions from anyone who may have seen or experienced this before.

Thanks,

Rick

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Check your suspension first - bought a rebuilt steering box when steering was loose and tended to drift in one direction

Good idea to have the suspension and alignment checked. A loose or bent tie rod could cause a severe pull to the side.

Hi Everyone

My 65 has developed a bad pull to the right recently. This happened quite suddenly, one trip there was no issue and the next it began to pull. If you let go of the steering wheel, the car wants to go directly to the ditch. There is no shake or wobble in the steering, just a steady pull to the right. I checked the tire pressures and all was good, checked the brakes and there is no indication of anything dragging there. Now when I start the car, you can see and feel the steering pull to the right as soon as the engine starts.
I took the car into a local garage and the mechanic indicated that the problem was the steering box. Given the time and effort it takes to remove and replace the steering box, I wanted to ask on the forum just to make sure that it is not something other than the steering box such as the power steering pump.

I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions from anyone who may have seen or experienced this before.

Thanks,

Rick
Suspension is always a possibility. But when you wrote that it seems to move that direction at startup that indicates the valve sending more fluid to one side than the other. Mine is manual steering and I'm not 100% familiar with the system on 65, but most likely it may be as simple as tightening or loosening the nut on the end of the valve to equalize the pressure.

The steering box is “adjustable”. It’s possible that the “lock nut” that keeps the proper adjustment came loose and changed this adjustment when you turned the wheel. It’s a major job to properly adjust the box (steering gear), and must be done with it removed from the car by an old school professional. A way to check if it is indeed a steering gear problem is to drive the car at speed, put it in neutral and turn off the engine. While coasting, if it stops pulling to the right, it’s not the box, and you have other issues. Consult a factory manual to explain the adjustments. An improperly adjusted box can make the steering wheel turn while you are sitting still!

If you are starting the car, in park, and the steering wheel moves, it is doubtful it is any of the suspension components. Big Clay is right on, your steering box is most likely out of adjustment. Or worse, does need to be replaced/rebuilt.

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions.
BigClay, I will complete the test you suggested and let everyone know how it works out.

Rick

Back