64 with headlight/tail light problem

ArloBirdDriver

ArloBirdDriver

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1964 TBird. The car was rebuilt from a wreck with significant damage to the rear. Recently the headlights and tail lights started acting funky. The headlights would go from bright to dim and then back to bright. The tail lights would flash on and off and then glow dimly. I installed a new headlight switch but now neither the headlights or tail lights work. I checked all the fuses and they seem to be sound. The turn signals and brake lights work just fine. Also the interior lights on the b pillars stopped working about the same time.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have a 1964 TBird. The car was rebuilt from a wreck with significant damage to the rear. Recently the headlights and tail lights started acting funky. The headlights would go from bright to dim and then back to bright. The tail lights would flash on and off and then glow dimly. I installed a new headlight switch but now neither the headlights or tail lights work. I checked all the fuses and they seem to be sound. The turn signals and brake lights work just fine. Also the interior lights on the b pillars stopped working about the same time.

I have EXACTLY the same problem on a 1963. I thought the dimmer switch was it and replaced it but this was not helpful. My interior courtesy lights work but the dash is dark. As long as I drive with the headlights on low beam the headlights to do not blink or act funky. My engine performance also drops. I hope somebody can chime in on this issue so thanks for posting this.

Thanks Steven for the thorough response. This forum is awesome.

Good Morning
I had a 64 Thunderbird years ago. Check the rear taillight bulb sockets for shorting. I tore my whole car apart only to find the sockets had corroded.
Good Luck

Hi don't know if you still have problems with your lights but if you do it could be in the external voltage regulator try putting a multimeter on Your battery and check charge rate with motor running and lights on make sure you getting a good steady charge rate my 66 seams to jump around and i get a bit of flicker in head lights i tracked it down to the regulator

Back