64 Thunderbird with electrical issue effecting headlights/tail lights

ArloBirdDriver

ArloBirdDriver

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Fellow Bird Folks,
I have a problem with the headlights working on my 64 Landau. I changed out the headlight switch and it didn't help, in fact the running lights did not work at all. When I reinstalled the old switch the tail lights worked perfectly but no headlamps. The turn signals and brake lights work perfectly. Also after having a radio installed the dash lights don't work and now the courtesy lights on the b pillars don't work. The fuse box seems to have all good fuses. There are no engine issues and the dash gauges work. Also the parking lights work. Could the headlights be inoperative because of a bad dimmer switch? Also I found a guy at a local restoration shop who says he will work on it but he wants to replace wiring harness. However, I'm having a difficult time finding wiring harness for this bird unless I purchase universal harness. The guy who wants to do the repair says we need to get all or nearly all of the wiring harness and he prefers original style harness specifically for this car. So far no one I've contacted has all the wiring harness. One place in California only has harness from the firewall to the front end which includes the headlights but no dash harness and no fuse box. Does anyone know a supplier for this gear?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I had a similar problem with my ‘64 after I replaced the headlight switch! It turns out that there are TWO different switches for 1964. One has 7 connections and the other 8. (Or maybe it was 6 and 7). Anyway, they “look” identical and the connector/plug fits both, but they are NOT interchangeable. I ended-up cleaning my original and re-installing it. Then everything worked again. And I forgot to add that they only re-pop one of those two switches.

Hi BigClay, what's "re-pop"? And, do you happen to have the PN for the correct headlight switch?

When I bought my '64, the headlight switch is the wrong one. It works, but the stem on the pull knob is too long by about and inch and a half.

Re-pop is “Reproduction”; meaning someone other than Ford makes new ones. I don’t know what your part number would be without the original switch. You will have to look at the connector for your switch, and count the number of connections. If it is seven, for example, call the Bird Nest, or other supplier, and ask if they have a seven post switch.

Back