64 thunderbird pertronix and flamethower install - Pink Resistor Wire

Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey folks,

So I went out today to check up on my install of the pertronix ignition and the flamethrower coil. As many of you know my wiring is a bit hacked up so I wanted to make sure all was well. The red/green wire with a cap/boot goes on the positive side - it looks nasty. It measures 12+ volts when it is not on the coil - as soon as I attach it to the coil, it measures 5.88. I understand that I need this to be a switched 12 volt source. So, I went and looked under my dash and sure enough - a pink wire is still stuck in the back of my ignition switch - guess they left that alone.

So my question is this, what is the best way to bypass or replace this resistor wire? I have a starter button because they did a bypass on the neutral safety switch and so on - I am a little afraid to start messing with the ignition switch - but I understand that I need to bypass the pink wire or replace it with a normal wire that will supply 12 volts to the coil to take full advantage of my new ignition system.

I am sure this has been asked 100+ times, but since my car is a bit hacked up in the electrical department - I thought I would ask the experts before I start messing around.

Thanks so much in advance!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hey folks,

So I went out today to check up on my install of the pertronix ignition and the flamethrower coil. As many of you know my wiring is a bit hacked up so I wanted to make sure all was well. The red/green wire with a cap/boot goes on the positive side - it looks nasty. It measures 12+ volts when it is not on the coil - as soon as I attach it to the coil, it measures 5.88. I understand that I need this to be a switched 12 volt source. So, I went and looked under my dash and sure enough - a pink wire is still stuck in the back of my ignition switch - guess they left that alone.

So my question is this, what is the best way to bypass or replace this resistor wire? I have a starter button because they did a bypass on the neutral safety switch and so on - I am a little afraid to start messing with the ignition switch - but I understand that I need to bypass the pink wire or replace it with a normal wire that will supply 12 volts to the coil to take full advantage of my new ignition system.

I am sure this has been asked 100+ times, but since my car is a bit hacked up in the electrical department - I thought I would ask the experts before I start messing around.

Don- get the Pertronix power relay, PN 2001. It’s about $30 and a clean installation, you will not have to modify your existing ignition wiring. Doug

Here's what the power relay looks like. Four wires. The existing wire from the ignition switch powers the relay, which then provides the full 12 volts to the hungry coil:

upload_2019-5-25_5-56-24.png

Here's what the power relay looks like. Four wires. The existing wire from the ignition switch powers the relay, which then provides the full 12 volts to the hungry coil:

View attachment 4034

Hey Doug,
All this is perfect! THANK YOU! I went Amazon last night and ordered the kit - it should be here Sunday! Is there any harm in starting the car with the wire in place as it is? I would like to move it out of the garage so I can get to a few of mom's things.

Hi, so this is basically a relay powered by the lower voltage (resistance wire) from the ignition switch, presume you have to feed the relay with a 12v connection from elsewhere. Good idea!

Yes. The relay has four wires. Two of them go to ground and a hot power source, the third connects to the existing wire from the ignition switch that was connected to the + terminal of the coil, and the fourth wire connects to the + coil terminal. Easy peasy!

Hi, so this is basically a relay powered by the lower voltage (resistance wire) from the ignition switch, presume you have to feed the relay with a 12v connection from elsewhere. Good idea!
I did this to my 69 as well. Except the wires provided were no where near long enough to make any decent connection to the coil. So I lengthened the wire and soldered them together. Then finally wrapped it all up in some of that plastic tubing to make it look nice and neat.
Power relay 1.jpg power relay 2.jpg power relay 3.jpg

Last edited:
Hey folks,

Here is what I did on my ‘64 Conv.
(Recommended to me by a retired Ford mechanic). On the backside of the ignition switch is a threaded “stud”. This is hot when switch is turned on. (12v). I simply ran a new wire from there to the coil. Finished! Coil now has its own 12 volt supply. I just left other wires in place.

Here is what I did on my ‘64 Conv.
(Recommended to me by a retired Ford mechanic). On the backside of the ignition switch is a threaded “stud”. This is hot when switch is turned on. (12v). I simply ran a new wire from there to the coil. Finished! Coil now has its own 12 volt supply. I just left other wires in place.
Yes but this guy's wiring is a spaghetti mess or so I have heard. It might not be that easy.

Back