64 Thunderbird 390 TDC and timing

Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi Folks,
When I get back from my uncle's I plan on trying to jump into my 64 bird and get it going. I want to ensure proper timing. I found this doing a google search - it is nice, big, and simple...how I feel sometimes. Is this website correct, is Number 1 cylinder on the passenger side front? Does the distributor rotate counterclockwise? Mainly, I just wanted to make sure this information from the below link is correct.
Thanks!

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/firing-order-ford-390-427-428.html

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi yes that is correct, number 1 is left from the front of the car.

Hi Don.

And "yes" to counterclockwise distributor rotation. So, turning the distributor (after loosening the hold down bolt) clockwise advances timing, counterclockwise retards the timing.

Before you start to adjust the timing, clean off the damper pulley and find the timing marks. Use whiteout or similar to make two marks, one at 6 degrees BTDC and one at 15 degrees BTDC. Then disconnect vacuum to the advance, start the engine and let it idle and shine the timing light down on that damper pulley. You want to see the pointer on the engine aligning with at least the 6 degrees BTDC mark on the pulley. But you can easily turn the disty and adjust timing to where the pointer aligns with the 15 degrees BTDC mark. These old FE engines like a lot of initial advance and you engine will thank you for it:)

Doug

And, highly recommend chocking the wheels any time the car is running and you're standing in front of it. As good as you've been to this car, it wants to put itself into gear and run over you.

Cave mechanicus sit malevolus thunderbird!

Hi Don.

And "yes" to counterclockwise distributor rotation. So, turning the distributor (after loosening the hold down bolt) clockwise advances timing, counterclockwise retards the timing.

Before you start to adjust the timing, clean off the damper pulley and find the timing marks. Use whiteout or similar to make two marks, one at 6 degrees BTDC and one at 15 degrees BTDC. Then disconnect vacuum to the advance, start the engine and let it idle and shine the timing light down on that damper pulley. You want to see the pointer on the engine aligning with at least the 6 degrees BTDC mark on the pulley. But you can easily turn the disty and adjust timing to where the pointer aligns with the 15 degrees BTDC mark. These old FE engines like a lot of initial advance and you engine will thank you for it:)

Doug
Hi

The stock 390 from a '65 that used to detonate quite badly until I took the timing back to 5 deg BTDC. That was on 97 RON (UK) fuel which approximates to 92 in the USA. It was OK on expensive Shell 99 but less so on supermarket 99. I have since installed a reconditioned engine, with pistons as near stock as possible and set the timing to 5 deg BTDC with no problems on 97 RON. Same distributor part number, same carb part number. I now need the courage to advance the timing. I'm now wondering whether the old engine's distributor has different characteristics to the one on the replacement engine. Incidentally, 5 deg seemed a bit much, considering that various 60s Austins I had were OK at 8 deg BTDC on the same fuel grade.,

Cheers

Clive Rogers

Hi

The stock 390 from a '65 that used to detonate quite badly until I took the timing back to 5 deg BTDC. That was on 97 RON (UK) fuel which approximates to 92 in the USA. It was OK on expensive Shell 99 but less so on supermarket 99. I have since installed a reconditioned engine, with pistons as near stock as possible and set the timing to 5 deg BTDC with no problems on 97 RON. Same distributor part number, same carb part number. I now need the courage to advance the timing. I'm now wondering whether the old engine's distributor has different characteristics to the one on the replacement engine. Incidentally, 5 deg seemed a bit much, considering that various 60s Austins I had were OK at 8 deg BTDC on the same fuel grade.,

Cheers

Clive Rogers
Hey Clive. These old 390s run great at 15 deg BTDC static timing. Engines need more advance under leaner conditions (e.g. when idling or when cruising at speed) in order to light off the fuel. I've run my stock '64 at 15 deg BTDC for several years now with nary a ping.

Hmmmm . . . makes me wonder what was going on with the old engine. . . .

Hey Clive. These old 390s run great at 15 deg BTDC static timing. Engines need more advance under leaner conditions (e.g. when idling or when cruising at speed) in order to light off the fuel. I've run my stock '64 at 15 deg BTDC for several years now with nary a ping.
Thanks for the info, just tried out 10 deg BTDC with no problems. Now plucking up the courage to try 15deg as I'm still spooked by what happened with the old engine! However that will be delayed as I have a major oil consumption problem with the new engine, see separate thread.

No much to lose. If the engine starts to detonate, you can back off the timing. But that would mean there is another problem, like carbon deposits in the cylinders, air/fuel mix wrong, distributor centrifugal advance off. All resolvable.

Back