64 landau shifting problems

Wide glider

Wide glider

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello have a 64 that i recently bought that had been sitting for a couple of years. When i take it on the road it shifts to second ok but does not shift into high, third gear. Any thought on this, thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello have a 64 that i recently bought that had been sitting for a couple of years. When i take it on the road it shifts to second ok but does not shift into high, third gear. Any thought on this, thanks
on the side of trans there should be a modulater valve it has a vacume line on it .check the line for splits or cracks.this valve controls the shift and the speed of shift. if I am wrong please correct me.

Hello have a 64 that i recently bought that had been sitting for a couple of years.
Make sure when you post to the Forum that you choose a meaningful subject title. I edited it for you. Thanks for posting.

I thought of this can I get to it if I lift the front of the car up and put it on jack stands or put it up on ramps

I was wrong about shifting problem it starts off in 2nd gear than shifts to high no matter where I have the shift selector. Why does it not go in to low gear, any ideas, my vacuum modulator hose looks ok also. Thanks

This may be as simple as the shift lever, knowing that this design was not exactly Ford's finest hour. There's the shift lever itself, the detent plate, and a plastic doughnut that sits near the bottom of the column. The lever and detent plate can wear. That doughnut has a tendency to disintegrate and fall out. Why the new replacement ones aren't any better is a mystery. On my car, I'm sure it's fallen out yet again, and I have to move the shift to L to put it in drive.

Keep in mind that the 64 has a "big dot, little dot" on the indicator, and the position next to N is second/third only. The dot next to L is normal 3-speed Drive. I think for 65, this was reversed -- but I don't have a 65 so I don't know.

Thanks for the Insight I think I'll try to put it in low and see if it starts out in low gear and then go from there

Yes, I can confirm for the '64 the shifter needs to be in the position next to "L" to get all three gears, whereas the position next to "N" starts in second and shifts to third only. On mine, the vacuum line to the modulator tees off of the vacuum line to the brake booster, and connects to a metal line that wanders on down to the transmission modulator. Have you been able to make progress on resolving the shifting issue?

Back