64 Getting Horn to Work

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
What do guys think the best way to tackle the rust on the car is? I don't like it in all these cracks and I am scared it will get worse and destroy it. I did not ask for detailed pictures like an idiot - but overall it seems in good shape. Suggestions on tackling the rust in the nooks and crannies?

I need to get the car to pass inspection at this point. It looks like someone has been trying to fix the horn for a bit. There is an aftermarket horn in the trunk and one mounted under the hood. I tested the horn, it works fine. However, I cannot seem to get it to work...and I need a horn for inspection.

1. I have searched the forums and the net for help. I did take the horn ring off and clean all the contacts. I do see the yellow wire and ground wire and they look like they are connected. No horn. The relay looks old and crummy, ordered a new one. However, I get the feeling this will not fix it. I followed from the relay up to cowl but do not see where the horn cable goes in. Any ideas?

2. Can you guys think of anything I can do to rig up a horn to work? It just has to work for the inspection. Here is the deal - I do not plan on driving the car until the transmission and shift level are sorted - then I need to look everything over. But I need to get the car out of the dude's name and I can only get two titles - project car (you cannot drive it over, you have to tow it so they can verify the vin(will cost me 100 bucks) or a regular title. I really don't want to get a salvage title. Out of state inspection consists of, stop lights working, turn signals, headlights, and horn - they sheriff makes you show all those things, you pay 10 bucks and you are done. Everything is working but the horn.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me know, once you figure out how to fix the horn. My 64 isn't working either. I have a wiring diagram so I'll probably have to follow the wires. ..It looks great and I'm glad the Ebay transition went well. Happy Future Cruising!! Dan(Forest Hill, Md)

Could you get away with using one of those compressed air boat horns to pass inspections?

If not, since the horn works, why not just mount a basic switch where you can get to it, and run power from the + of the battery to the switch, then from the switch to the horn contact?

1- add your photos to the gallery, do not post outside links.
2- choose a subject relevant to your post.

Revised.

OMG OMG OMG OMG A WIN!!!!!!!!! I BOUGHT NEW HORN RELAY, WENT OUT INSTALLED IT AND BAM A WEAK AFTER MARKET HORN SOUNDED LOL. I just need to get some good horns now.

GUYS WITH YOUR HELP I WILL GET THIS CAR REGISTERED AND RIGHT! THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will say I did take the horn ring off and clean all the contacts so I am sure it was redundant but it will help keep it working!!! awesome!!!!! :)

Could you get away with using one of those compressed air boat horns to pass inspections?

If not, since the horn works, why not just mount a basic switch where you can get to it, and run power from the + of the battery to the switch, then from the switch to the horn contact?

This was gold - I was totally going to rig that next! Then starting a YouTube channel called "ScaryBird," and drive with the rich smoke out my tailpipe around town and blow a fog horn at everyone - LMAO - tell me you would not watch that ?!?!?! "Well folks, I have her all gassed up and she smells like a fuel tanker, let's go scare some ricers!"

Back