64 front disc brake conversion

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just don't stop. :p

Okay, seriously this must suck. If it were me, I'd try to find what it would entail to change the pedal to a 1965-66. The 1964 is the only version of that body style that uses a pressure switch, and even that was recalled mid-year with a relay because the switches/wiring kept burning up. In 1965 the switch was moved inside, to the pedal. Will the new switch fit on an existing 1964 pedal, or does part or all of the pedal need to be changed? Maybe someone else here can enlighten us. If a 1965 switch can be used without much hassle, that would be the way to go.

Or, retain your 1964 pressure switch by going to local auto parts store and purchasing a brass “brake line tee”, 2 reverse flare nuts, and an adapter that will fit your 1/8” npt switch and go into the side if the tee. Then cut the brake line near the master cylinder, install the reverse flare nuts on each end of the cut line, double flare each end, and install tee with the pressure switch (brake light switch). It won’t be a concours installation, but it will work.

Thanks for the input,just looked at how my 72 highboy switch is setup and it's pretty simple,think I'm gonna try that

Okay, seriously this must suck. If it were me, I'd try to find what it would entail to change the pedal to a 1965-66. The 1964 is the only version of that body style that uses a pressure switch, and even that was recalled mid-year with a relay because the switches/wiring kept burning up. In 1965 the switch was moved inside, to the pedal. Will the new switch fit on an existing 1964 pedal, or does part or all of the pedal need to be changed? Maybe someone else here can enlighten us. If a 1965 switch can be used without much hassle, that would be the way to go.
I didn't know that they changed it. Let me know what you find out because i will change my 64 over as well.

I didn't know that they changed it. Let me know what you find out because i will change my 64 over as well.

A pressure switch can be installed in line with the brake line as one alternative. That said, have had pressure switches fail and leak.
It may not be the arm that needs changing. The brake pedal switches I know of are actuated by a slightly extended flat end of the pushrod to the master cylinder. I would check the length if I could not find one for a Thunderbird. I would check with vintage Mustang suppliers. Summit or other may have an adjustable lenght pushrod for the Mustang that has the flat end.
I changed the pressure switch on my'57 Bird to a mechanical switch. I made a simple bracket to hold a 70ish Ford pickup plunger switch. attached to the brake pedal mount under the steering column with an "L"shaped stop on the pedal arm.
As always don't be a Cheap Charley; buy a shop manual for your car. If you can't afford the manual maybe you can't afford the car.

Hi all. I'm thinking about converting the '64 to front disc brakes. What is the best approach? Would front disc brakes from a '65 or '66 bolt right on? If they will, are they considered to be the best option? What aftermarket options exist?

Ditto on buying a manual, by the way. There's a great '64 shop manual and it's cheap. It's easy to find information in the manual because the '64 is what it is with a few variables like whether it came with air conditioning or warning lights.

Back