64 convertible turn signal problem

T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Well after getting my ride back from the restoration place, which I had a bad experience with, im finally getting things back up to par on my 64 conv. Sort of...
My front driver turn signal wont work now. I have parking light but no turn signal. Other side works fine. Maybe a ground issue??
I started tracing wires and took most of the dash apart and got sidetracked.
Ended up painting and detailing the dash trim LoL!!! Cleaning everything up. So tomorrow i guess ill try to tackle that turn signal.
The neutral switch and all was redone by the resto place and im wondering if they goofed something else up.
So is the infamous turn signal relay under the dash, left of the steering column? Near the signal flasher?
Thanks

Well found the turn signal relay, mounted under the dash near the signal flasher. Took it apart and cleaned the points, put it back in and still no left front turn signal. Have power on the green/red into the relay. Put a tester on one of the black wires and nothing, put on the other and the relay kicks and have power but still no turn signal. May send the relay off for further inspection.
Thinking it could be my turn signal switch on the column. Maybe its making contact with the turn signal indicator on the fender but not making contact to the turn signal itself. Going to pull the steering wheel next week and check my switch.

Sounds like you are doing a lot of unnecessary work. You said the fender indicator works, but not the light in the bumper? I’d start there. Test the bulb. Make sure it is a dual filament bulb, and that both filaments work. Then check the socket. Is it all corroded? Getting current to both posts? If corroded, clean or replace it. If you aren’t getting power to both, trace the wires back to source.

Sounds like you are doing a lot of unnecessary work. You said the fender indicator works, but not the light in the bumper? I’d start there. Test the bulb. Make sure it is a dual filament bulb, and that both filaments work. Then check the socket. Is it all corroded? Getting current to both posts? If corroded, clean or replace it. If you aren’t getting power to both, trace the wires back to source.

All that was checked so im tracing wires. I know the turn signal switch according to the schematic has seperate contacts for the turn signal and the indicator. I may not be making contact on the one.

Well I found out that the TURN SIGANL REALY ( looked up the number) mounted under the dash is for the SEAT BELT WARNING light!!! Crazy!!!

Turn signal relay is for the turn signal and seat belt warning light. They tie in together from the factory

Well after getting my ride back from the restoration place, which I had a bad experience with, im finally getting things back up to par on my 64 conv. Sort of...
My front driver turn signal wont work now. I have parking light but no turn signal. Other side works fine. Maybe a ground issue??
I started tracing wires and took most of the dash apart and got sidetracked.
Ended up painting and detailing the dash trim LoL!!! Cleaning everything up. So tomorrow i guess ill try to tackle that turn signal.
The neutral switch and all was redone by the resto place and im wondering if they goofed something else up.
So is the infamous turn signal relay under the dash, left of the steering column? Near the signal flasher?
Thanks
I have mabye a stupid question but in 64 is there turn siganal indicators on dash? Ones on my hood work i here the clicking noise but see nothing on dash

There is nothing on the dash. Your only indicators are on the fenders. If they are working, consider yourself lucky.

I have mabye a stupid question but in 64 is there turn siganal indicators on dash? Ones on my hood work i here the clicking noise but see nothing on dash

Right. No indicactors on the dash. What youre hearing is the relay (64) and or the flasher working under the dash

Back