64 bird radio

Wide glider

Wide glider

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi who knows of the best way or tbe way of removing tbe radio. It does not work and needs replacing. thanks alot

If you don't want your old radio, let me know, I'll take it. I like tinkering with the old car radios. Thanks Dan (forest hill, Md.)

It's been awhile but let me see if I can recall. Firstly you remove the passenger side panel from the console (carefully) this will give you access to the supports at the back of the radio. Disconnect the antenna, unplug the power connection, loosen the support brackets. Then remove the tuning knobs by pulling on them to expose the volume and tuning shafts, you will see the nuts threaded holding the radio in place, loosen them finish by disconnecting the radio supports and pull the radio out.

I did this 16 years ago, but that is what I recall.

Good luck.

Gord

Hi, Gord you mean the screws on the side of the console by the carpet correct not the center console screws that hold the heater controls and the radio.

Correct, undo those remove the stainless steel trim then pull the side panel down and away this will give you access to antenna, supports etc.. Once you get started it will become obvious what the next step is.

Careful there are some sharp edges, mechanics gloves might prove useful.

I think my car holds the Guinness Book of World Records for having the most radios installed. Every time there's an update (it's a stereo conversion), I remove the radio and apply it. I do this so I can play the radio while driving the car, nit-pick on reception/performance, and feed back to the design engineer. I've had my own radio rebuilt, then converted to stereo, updated again and again, it was fitted with the very first prototype Aurora FMR Stereo PCB (which I now have in a display case), followed by several production PCB's along with Bluetooth modules and USB modules, it has also seen a few Custom Autosound USA stereos installed for testing, and THEN got an AM/FM set and converted THAT one -- and already have applied updates to it. Wow!

Here's the deal: original radio, remove the brackets from both sides of the console (which means you probably should remove the LEFT panel as well), then remove the knobs and mounting nuts from the front. Radio slides right out the right side, bada bing. Antenna connector, power/lamp connector, and two-or-four pin connector for speakers (depending on configuration).

Front speaker, remove the wiper/vent knobs, remove four screws and drop the center pod that holds the clock. Speaker is right there. REAR speaker is fun -- remove the seat cushion and seat backs. To remove the seat backs you have to also remove the armrests. With seat completely out, you can reach the rear speaker.

Oh yes -- in my case, when reinstalling the radio, I only use the right bracket so I don't have to keep removing the left console cover.

Back