62 Heater core blocked?

Hadderz

Hadderz

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, hoping this might save me removing the core but I've just tried a hose pipe direct onto the pipes coming out of the bulkhead to attempt a flush through. Basically I get a trickle of water out - not what I thought I'd get.....is this due to the valve they use being automatically controlled - as well as the dash slider - or is it blocked?

Thanks Andy

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have the same issue on a 1963 heater core (I think)? I bought the beast a month ago, etc... the previous owner showed me the same facts.

Hi, hoping this might save me removing the core but I've just tried a hose pipe direct onto the pipes coming out of the bulkhead to attempt a flush through. Basically I get a trickle of water out - not what I thought I'd get.....is this due to the valve they use being automatically controlled - as well as the dash slider - or is it blocked?

Thanks Andy
You should get a blast of water coming out of the other pipe coming from heater core If not heater core is plugged up. No valves control the water flow going through the heater core. It should flow freely through one side and back out the other

You should get a blast of water coming out of the other pipe coming from heater core If not heater core is plugged up. No valves control the water flow going through the heater core. It should flow freely through one side and back out the other
Hi, just purchased a new control valve which replaces the original and these new ones are as expected just a flow restriction altered by the slider control on the dash. The original is themo controlled, made by Ranco and theres a thread called Heater control valve operation I eventually discovered explains the original themo operation. Not changed it yet as not too sure mines faulty. What I get it a trickle of water coming out, blast a bit more pressure through and I get a surge of water which then slows - suggesting I'm pushing the seal open and then it returns into position. Not 100% but its on my list once I've finished the chassis / running gear stuff.

Ok last night just stripped and removed my heater core. I've got most of the interior removed so no seats, centre consul and most of the dash except the clocks and upper pad. The front panel of the heater comes off easily and you are presented with the core just sat there so, undo the bolts from the engine side of the firewall, ditch the hoses and ditch the control cable. No joy, still solid, worst thing is the core is held with 4 screws inserted from the right side, the rears you cannot see and end up trashing the insulation to even get a mirror in place. The angle of the firewall makes getting a socket onto the lower one even more difficult. The upper I removed the rubber vent seal to reach - this rubber had fell apart anyway. Not sure if other people removed the whole heater box but, could not get any advice from the workshop manual and mine has AC so looks to much to remove. What a monster of a job - cannot think how bad this would be with the interior inplace! So managed to remove but why they couldn't of just slotted the thing in, oh well I've the putting back together to look forward too!

Back