62 fuel gauge not working

L

lngnlochevy

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Fuel gauge is not working. Checked power wire with test light it pulses with the key in the on position. Is this common. Every one tells me there should be a threaded post to ground to on top of the sending unit. There is not. In fact I don't see a ground wire at all. Where is it and or should I just run my own. Also sending unit leaks around the top. Got new gaskets but can't get the lock ring off. Seen articles where it is held in with screw this is not it has a lock ring. Tried to tap it loose like I have on other tanks no such luck. Not wanting to make things worse.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am having the same issue with my 63. I installed a new fuel sending unit too. Sometimes the fuel gauge will move slightly but usually stays on empty. I'll be watching for any comments. Thanks! Tom

Let me know if you figure anything out.

OK, the lock ring will unscrew. you may have to tap back and forth a number of times to free it up, however it does just turn out of there, no screws or anything to hold it in
The only ground there is for that sending unit is the sender to the tank and the tank to the body....... no wires. So there needs to be clean metal to metal contact someplace at each location and this means that the body of the tank needs to have bare metal contact to the body of the car. I have drilled a hole in the corner of the flange on the tank and ran a wire to the body of the car to get a good ground also

OK, the lock ring will unscrew. you may have to tap back and forth a number of times to free it up, however it does just turn out of there, no screws or anything to hold it in
The only ground there is for that sending unit is the sender to the tank and the tank to the body....... no wires. So there needs to be clean metal to metal contact someplace at each location and this means that the body of the tank needs to have bare metal contact to the body of the car. I have drilled a hole in the corner of the flange on the tank and ran a wire to the body of the car to get a good ground also
Going out to the garage and try this out.

Back