61 power windows options

P

Philt

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 61 convertible has three power windows that are weak . Typically they lift smoothly about 75% but must be helped the remaining lift. Have tried clean and lub the tracks little improvement. The regulators seem to operat well but suspect the original electric motors have developed a dead spot.
Besides the OEM repo motors from the specialty suppliers, are there any other options like a substitute modern motor or a unit from another Ford product. $250.00 a motor is a bit much and not interested in investing the labor in previously owned equipment. So before I drop $800.00 for a full lift window thought I would reachout to the more experienced Tbird folks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Not sure if you can find a place that can rebuild the original motors but it's worth a little time and effort to make some searches on line or call around to local machine shops to see who might do the rebuild.

Good luck.

Gord

I also have this issue and am looking for solutions.

When I first got my car, around 22 years ago, the right window was slow and the left window didn't work at all. I took the left one apart, got the assembly out, disassembled, cleaned and lubed, and it has worked perfectly for the last 22 years. The right one is still slow. Someday, . . .

There’s not much to an electric motor. Brushes and commutator. Brushes wear and commutators get dirty. Not hard to pull apart and clean with a fine emery cloth and replace brushes. I would look for brushes close to the originals and sand them down to fit. Lube bushes and that’s should work fine

Back