61 Convert. after market a/c?

P

Philt

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Bought an older restoration convertible two months ago. Reminded me of the one my father owned. Came with a disc brake conversion kit from ABS of calif.
In the process of replacing the rear suspension bushings, found a leaf spring broken. Hope my local spring shop can duplicate it. If not then on to one of the Tbird specialty houses for fresh leaf springs. Already had the hardware and rubber.
Next the front disc brake conversion and last is a aftermarket a/c.
Vintage or Classic Air, anyone with recent experience with either?
BTW any suggestions for removing 4 year old clear urathane over spray from the door jams? May just strip and respray the jams as the body paint is nice.
Phil in Nashville

Bought an older restoration convertible two months ago. Reminded me of the one my father owned. Came with a disc brake conversion kit from ABS of calif.
In the process of replacing the rear suspension bushings, found a leaf spring broken. Hope my local spring shop can duplicate it. If not then on to one of the Tbird specialty houses for fresh leaf springs. Already had the hardware and rubber.
Next the front disc brake conversion and last is a aftermarket a/c.
Vintage or Classic Air, anyone with recent experience with either?
BTW any suggestions for removing 4 year old clear urathane over spray from the door jams? May just strip and respray the jams as the body paint is nice.
Phil in Nashville
Hi Phil,
I owned a Company that designed, built and marketed A/C Kit for classic imported sports cars, so I am pretty well versed in what works and what doesn't. Vintage Air can only offer a universal set-up that will conform to your car, more or less.

I just purchased the Classic Air Kit for my '61 convertible ( have not installed yet) and can assure you of the quality and design of the Kit and it's components. It is well worth the money (around $1500.)

Hi Phil,
I owned a Company that designed, built and marketed A/C Kit for classic imported sports cars, so I am pretty well versed in what works and what doesn't. Vintage Air can only offer a universal set-up that will conform to your car, more or less.

I just purchased the Classic Air Kit for my '61 convertible ( have not installed yet) and can assure you of the quality and design of the Kit and it's components. It is well worth the money (around $1500.)

Do you expect to replace the radiator with the new a/c system? Along hot drive returning the newly purchased car home and the engine ran cool. But the radiator looks like a OEM installation and think I will replace with a modern ( aluminum) one with the a/c system. Friend just completed a Classic installation on his 56 Bird and is happy with the results.
Phil in Nashville

Do you expect to replace the radiator with the new a/c system? Along hot drive returning the newly purchased car home and the engine ran cool. But the radiator looks like a OEM installation and think I will replace with a modern ( aluminum) one with the a/c system. Friend just completed a Classic installation on his 56 Bird and is happy with the results.
Phil in Nashville
Hi Phil,
I don't expect to replace the Radiator- like yours, mine runs cool in the Texas Heat. I will, however, have a Puller or Pusher fan installed (will need an Alternator) or purchase a Fan shroud and/or a Flex Fan.

Back