1957 wiper motor conversion to electric

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
dickday0

dickday0

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone ever replaced their vacuum wiper motor for one of the electric upgrades? I cannot imagine how you can get to it w/o removing the dash, something I swore I would never do.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I changed mine with mixed results. Wiping is great but the range from side to side cannot be adjusted and I think is a little too wide as I hit the left wiper blade against the glass, even with the park position as low as i can set it.
Yes, I did it without removing the dash but you need to be fairly limber and don't mind being on your back from a while. I also had a problem where the new switch shorted out against a long screw from something attached to the dash (can't remember what it was now but with a shorter screw all went well. It took a few fuses to find it.

If you drive in an area or don't get in the rain very often, I will moisten the flappers and keep it. If you use daily and see rain often, it would be a safer move.

Unless you are going to be driving in the rain, I wouldn't do it, use rain x on the windshield and keep the vacuum wipers,.... I am .
I don't plan on being anywhere in the rain but... Have your wipers always worked, or did you have to rebuild the motor? My wipers move a quarter-inch max.

I changed mine with mixed results. Wiping is great but the range from side to side cannot be adjusted and I think is a little too wide as I hit the left wiper blade against the glass, even with the park position as low as i can set it.
Yes, I did it without removing the dash but you need to be fairly limber and don't mind being on your back from a while. I also had a problem where the new switch shorted out against a long screw from something attached to the dash (can't remember what it was now but with a shorter screw all went well. It took a few fuses to find it.

If you drive in an area or don't get in the rain very often, I will moisten the flappers and keep it. If you use daily and see rain often, it would be a safer move.

I have tried to moisten the leather using 2 methods, neither have helped. May I ask where you bought your 12-volt kit from? I see there are several brands out there.

I don't ever plan on having it out in the rain but it certainly could happen. The way it is now, I'd have to pull over and wait it out.

I have not yet removed the seat but def will if/when I tackle the wiper motor. Did rebuild the old motor or replace with electric?

I have tried to moisten the leather using 2 methods, neither have helped. May I ask where you bought your 12-volt kit from? I see there are several brands out there.

I don't ever plan on having it out in the rain but it certainly could happen. The way it is now, I'd have to pull over and wait it out.
My unit came from CASCO, they were most helpful in helping me scope out the short problem.

Same here. If I do go 12-volt, it will be from them. I have been working with Amanda on several purchases. Nice, nice people.

After years of very little use the seals have dried out causing the wiper motor to be sluggish. The internal wiper motor seals need to be cleaned and lubricated.

Doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
The brake fluid worked? I tried that and it didn't help. I'll give it another shot and see what happens, thanks.

I have not yet removed the seat but def will if/when I tackle the wiper motor. Did rebuild the old motor or replace with electric?

Replaced with electric from CASCO. Dumped a lot of WD 40 down the vacuum tube for the old motor and it would work for a month or so then quit again. Would always quit when I got rained on!

That's my fear as well. I've tried WD and brake fluid, still hardly any movement. My bird sat in a storage container for 30 years or so. I would imagine the heat in the summers was intense, so maybe my vacuum motor is not salvageable.

I work at the preservation department of the Crawford Auto Museum in Cleveland, and the guys I work with were going to rebuild the vacuum wiper motor on the 1959 Edsel we were working on until I showed them the brake fluid trick. After 1 ounce of dot 3 brake fluid, the wipers came back to life.

Replaced my vacuum system with electric, Even has an intermittent option, No problems works every time.

I work at the preservation department of the Crawford Auto Museum in Cleveland, and the guys I work with were going to rebuild the vacuum wiper motor on the 1959 Edsel we were working on until I showed them the brake fluid trick. After 1 ounce of dot 3 brake fluid, the wipers came back to life.
How much do you have to pay them to work there? :)

I recommend the brake fluid trick. Unless you are going to drive where you are likely to get caught in the rain for any extended period of time I would not recommend the electric conversion. Mine is from NewPort Engineering. It fits and works. The two speeds are slow and not quite as slow. Additionally I did this while the seat is out. I had to move my under dash air conditioner out of the way without disconnecting it. The circlips or e-clips as they may be called force you to install them after the motor wiping rotor is in its place. This is done above you out of sight and is not readily accessible by large hands. The directions are sketchy at best and the installation of the clips is nearly impossible, at least it was for me and a friend who is also an experienced amateur mechanic and other T=bird friends.When we went to Albuquerque NM a couple of years ago. We went through several deluges in route. I wanted to have reliable wipers for the upcoming trip. I hate it when the accelerator is put down and the lack of vacuum stops the wipers from moving. This happens when passing. My final piece of advice; Don't do it if it can be avoided.

Sorry for not updating this once I got it resolved. I bought a rebuilt motor from CASCO and even managed to get it installed. The tough part was the clips. I ended up using duct tape to hold the motor in place and then managed to get the clips on with one hand. This was one time in my life that being small was an advantage, I didn't have to remove the seat.

Cannot find the thread/post that discusses with details the brake fluid suggestion to help rejuvenate my wipers. Could someone post that link or give instructions? Thanks

Back