1957 wide whitewall tire inserts

Ward 57

Ward 57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anybody used the wide whitewall tire inserts? I had to replace all my tires due to age ( cracking, splitting ) etc.. I was moving and needed new tires in a hurry so bought some cheaper tires ( needed all 5 ) with the thinner whitewalls and I just can't get them white as new. just clean but not white. Any experiences? It may also be a good time to clean & paint the wheels so they are all body color also as they should be. Oh they are radials if that makes any difference. A driver not a show car so authenticity is not an issue.

Has anybody used the wide whitewall tire inserts? I had to replace all my tires due to age ( cracking, splitting ) etc.. I was moving and needed new tires in a hurry so bought some cheaper tires ( needed all 5 ) with the thinner whitewalls and I just can't get them white as new. just clean but not white. Any experiences? It may also be a good time to clean & paint the wheels so they are all body color also as they should be. Oh they are radials if that makes any difference. A driver not a show car so authenticity is not an issue.
If you use sand paper, (start with a lesser aggressive grit) that will usually bring back the white

If you use sand paper, (start with a lesser aggressive grit) that will usually bring back the white
I've used steel wool with tire cleaner , it gets the dirt off but the white rubber is not U.S. quality and didn't help much. They turned dull again within a month.

I've used steel wool with tire cleaner , it gets the dirt off but the white rubber is not U.S. quality and didn't help much. They turned dull again within a month.
I've done it on quality wide white walls and it worked well, may be the quality of the tires

I've done it on quality wide white walls and it worked well, may be the quality of the tires
I'm sure that's the issue. but instead of spending mucho $ on classic tires for a driver, I'm hoping to get the period look.

Westley's Tire White and SOS pads. If that doesn't do it I think you will have to live with what you have.
good luck

I think you guys are missing my point. I don't want to clean my current whitewalls but put on aftermarket white wall discs that go between the tire & wheel. for $75-$110 per set of 4, seems pretty practical to me if they work.

Funny
That’s exactly what I thought you were referring to. Back in the day they were called “Porta Walls”,I wasn’t aware that the were still available. Hell my father used them on his 54 Buick.

I had no idea porta-walls were still around. They looked great on my 50 Chevy with the rims painted red and moon spinner hub caps. The only addition to that hook up were curb feelers. You really have to get a good seal between the rim and tire or else the porta-wall will pop out and look like your tire has a blister

I don't have any first hand experience but I have read somewhere that they do not work well with radial tires.

I had no idea porta-walls were still around. They looked great on my 50 Chevy with the rims painted red and moon spinner hub caps. The only addition to that hook up were curb feelers. You really have to get a good seal between the rim and tire or else the porta-wall will pop out and look like your tire has a blister
Oh yah, they are still around. I did an internet search for wide whitewall inserts and they we one of the first to pop up. So you had a good experience with them?

Last edited:
Oh yah, they are still around. I did an internet search for wide whitewall inserts and they we one of the first to pop up. So you had a good experience with them?

The experence was good but you had to make sure the bead of the porta wall was secured between the rim and tire or the porta wall would budge and your cover of having real white walls would be exposed......... speaking from experience. Man that was 65 years ago but I do remember the porta walls making a $10.00 used tire look great

I think I'll go with the porta wall 2", I don't see 2 1/4 only 2"& 3" . They are now only $49 with free shipping, they used to be $75.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use a porta-wall with a tubeless tire.
For $45 I'll give it a shot plus the cost of mounting. It couldn't be worse than the almost invisible white walls that I have now. I'll let you know my journey as I know there are a few others who are considering going that way on here. I'm sure over the years they have figured that out.

For $45 I'll give it a shot plus the cost of mounting. It couldn't be worse than the almost invisible white walls that I have now. I'll let you know my journey as I know there are a few others who are considering going that way on here. I'm sure over the years they have figured that out.
Could be the most expensive 45.00 you will ever spend

Could be the most expensive 45.00 you will ever spend
With thousands of users very happy with the results over many years? With all the questions of wire wheels and tire sizes It's a minor issue. What is your objection? Been there done that? Let me know your real life experience. Are you willing to spend $600 on period correct tires to prove a point when the ones I have are capable but look terrible? That's why we have so much cheap foreign crap to save a dime. For $45 I'm willing to take the chance on the mistake I made but under time and financial restraints I don't question my decisions.

Last edited:
Funny
That’s exactly what I thought you were referring to. Back in the day they were called “Porta Walls”,I wasn’t aware that the were still available. Hell my father used them on his 54 Buick.
Yup they are still around and the funny thing is that they are shipped from Turkey. The foreign language on the package threw me off but they have a U.S. representative that was a great help. Great deal. I'm happy, but I've found the chemistry of the new tires and people complaining about black bleed into the wide whites of $300ea tires I'm having the same problem the edges in contact with the tire are turning yellow not concerned but a fix at $100 VS. $3-400 per tire it's worth it but mine is a driver not a trailer Queen.

Back