1957 Stuck Oil Cap

dickday0

dickday0

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi.

The chrome oil cap in my 312 y-block will not budge. No idea what happened. I have tried channel-locks on the filter tube that protrudes below the cap (with cloth), I've tried rocking it side to side, I've tried twisting and I've tried using a small hammer and a flat screwdriver, tapping up from the bottom. It will not twist or slide up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Try removing the cap with the engine hot, the cap should heat and expand loosening its grip on the fill tube.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Thanks Doug. That didn't work. That would probably work under normal conditions. We think we figured out what probably happened.

The engine was rebuilt in 2016. It sat on the showroom floor of the Ford dealer until we bought it in November of 2017. When we first got it, we checked the fluid levels and all were where they should be and the oil looked new, so we had no reason to remove the cap.

I am guessing that the cap was put on there shortly after the engine was painted and has not been touched until now. It's like it's welded to the tube. I'll get a new one coming to replace the one that we'll have to cut off.

Again, thanks.

It was the paint that was making it stick. They must have put the cap on well before the paint was cured, then it sat for several years. As you suggested, I used lots of WD. Once off, I sanded the top of the tube.

Hi.

The chrome oil cap in my 312 y-block will not budge. No idea what happened. I have tried channel-locks on the filter tube that protrudes below the cap (with cloth), I've tried rocking it side to side, I've tried twisting and I've tried using a small hammer and a flat screwdriver, tapping up from the bottom. It will not twist or slide up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
I just had the same problem. The cap should pry up. I finally got mine to come up with the use of a crow bar.
I was able to leverage it also with the use of a hammer. Strange how that happens.

Back