'57 rear bumper removal

BigGar
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
] I discovered defective chrome on the lower half of the rear bumper, so it's going to have to be redone. Is it advisable, or possible, to just remove the bottom half of the bumper while it's on the car or is that a dumb idea and way more work than necessary? Only reason I'm thinking of doing it that way is to preserve the current alignment of the bumper but before I start turning wrenches and taking things apart, it's always best to check with the collective in places like this.
bumper-removal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
HI,
From the picture, it looks like yo got hit in the back. Sorry that happened. But, if that is what I am seeing, clearly you are going to have to remove the bumper. But if that isn't the case, I don't see why you couldn't remove just the bottom. But, if the bottom pealed, might not the top also peal ? Why did it peal?

I am going to rechrome my front bumper this winter. Where did you get this work done so I do not take it there?

Doug,

I don't believe there was any impact. The chrome just peeled in that spot. Poor prep, something. I'm not sure who did the chrome as I am not the restorer, or owner. I'm just the guy entrusted to look after the cars. I'll peek around underneath and see if it's a feasible thing to just remove the bottom, leaving the rest on the car.

I suggest you do it right. Remove entire bumper. Separate the upper and lower. Evaluate the condition of each and proceed from there. J.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the chrome on upper part of the bumper is good and you can remove just the lower portion that shouldn’t be an issue. I removed the two upper ends of the front bumper and had them rechromed. Can’t see any difference.
Looking at mine it looks like the lower number must be removed to remove the upper. I would go for it, if when you get the lower number off that the top needs redone then that’s what it needs.

Back