57 hard top window removal

1957Bird

1957Bird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Getting ready to have the hard top repainted and new head liner installed.
any tips on rear window removal??
Thanks much
Roger

Any decent glass shop should be able to do it. It's not that tough but there are techniques to the process so you don't break the glass or bend the trim. Make sure you order new gaskets for putting it back in. I had a upholstery guy who only does custom work to put in my headliner. He said he worked hours to get the window in. The replacement gaskets are thicker than original making the job very difficult.

just did mine. start in the corner bottom one. push out with fingers slowing peeling the interior lip of rubber. hoping that there is no sealant. go slow. push evenly
it comes out easier than in, I used the blue plastic interior tools as the bond breaker on both sided of the gasket. get the good gasket.
or you just cut the old out. and replace.
watch the SS moulding, cost to much to replace.

Last edited:
to reinstall use the strong cord around the seal. should take 20 minutes,. you can do it, should not take hours.
you don't learn a thing if somebody else does it.
just learned the trick to install the SS molding, turn the lip of the gasket down at the corners insert the SS and return to normal. instert window as above.

Last edited:
Very pleased to say that my 57 hard top repaint has been completed as well as reassembly of hardware, head liner and glass installation. All completed by myself including head liner and glass. Had never performed either task but with you tube and a bit of patience and persistence anything’s possible.

WOW! I consider myself pretty handy but that was a task I sourced out. My hat is off to you!

Any decent glass shop should be able to do it. It's not that tough but there are techniques to the process so you don't break the glass or bend the trim. Make sure you order new gaskets for putting it back in. I had a upholstery guy who only does custom work to put in my headliner. He said he worked hours to get the window in. The replacement gaskets are thicker than original making the job very difficult.
Order the Dennis Carpenter gasket from B42084A from Tee-Bird Products Inc
610-363-1725

Perfect fit and easy to install unlike the gaskets from CASCO, Larry’s, Concours or NPD.

Back