'57 door panels

Ward 57

Ward 57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm tearing into my doors to replace the cracked glass in my passenger door. I finally opened the box of new door panels I bought over 20 years ago. Included were two matching strips that are 10" long with a beaded edge. Can't figure out where they go. I think they would work perfectly around the arm rest from the chrome to the end. A nice finishing touch, but I can't find a photo anywhere that shows this garnishment. It would be a nice finishing touch if I can't find the original usage.
20201016_182054[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope these pictures show clear enough where they go.IMG_0476.JPGIMG_0477.JPG

Hope these pictures show clear enough where they go.View attachment 14039View attachment 14040
Hope these pictures show clear enough where they go.View attachment 14039View attachment 14040
Thank you. The door panels had been messed with before I bought it and would never would have considered that placement as I had nothing to go on. I'm surprised they didn't do the same trim on the arm rests. Would have added a nice finish seeing as they spent so much time on other trim.

I'm tearing into my doors to replace the cracked glass in my passenger door. I finally opened the box of new door panels I bought over 20 years ago. Included were two matching strips that are 10" long with a beaded edge. Can't figure out where they go. I think they would work perfectly around the arm rest from the chrome to the end. A nice finishing touch, but I can't find a photo anywhere that shows this garnishment. It would be a nice finishing touch if I can't find the original usage.
On the subject of door panels, I have a 55 and I'm trying to locate about a dozen Clips to reattach the door panel. Does anyone know where they are available?

What is the best way to attach my old aluminum trim to the new door panels. I built mine from scratch using the original panels as a template many years ago when I was young and dumb and just patched it together. Staple gun? I had used tacks and bent the ends over on the back side.

One more question. In the door panel hardware kit Are some wing spring clips with studs that look like they would be used on trim. Couldn't figure out where they went so just used the screw on the end plate that matches up with the dash to secure. The welt Fell back behind so I know the arm rest isn't tight enough to the panel. I'll need to pull it off again this spring and figure it out before I do the driver's door. Any pics or reference in the trim manual?

One more question. In the door panel hardware kit Are some wing spring clips with studs that look like they would be used on trim. Couldn't figure out where they went so just used the screw on the end plate that matches up with the dash to secure. The welt Fell back behind so I know the arm rest isn't tight enough to the panel. I'll need to pull it off again this spring and figure it out before I do the driver's door. Any pics or reference in the trim manual?

I don't recall any such clips in the kit for my 57 door panels. I got mine from Larry's so there might be slight differences if yours is from one of the other places. The only clips I recall were the ones that clip to the panel and then the post gets pushed into the holes in the door to hold the panel to the door.

I guess I'll have to dig into the restoration and trim manuals. CASCO even sells them individually labeled 'Retainer-door and upper back panel garnish' and the new panels come with all the holes stamped out and scored for punch outs for window switches side clips etc. but couldn't see a place for it.
I'm still trying to figure out how to secure the turned aluminum panels to the new panels. My hot glue doesn't stick to the cover. need to figure it out on my passenger side before I move over to refurbishing the driver's door.

I guess I'll have to dig into the restoration and trim manuals. CASCO even sells them individually labeled 'Retainer-door and upper back panel garnish' and the new panels come with all the holes stamped out and scored for punch outs for window switches side clips etc. but couldn't see a place for it.
I'm still trying to figure out how to secure the turned aluminum panels to the new panels. My hot glue doesn't stick to the cover. need to figure it out on my passenger side before I move over to refurbishing the driver's door.

The only thing holding my turned aluminum on was staples. There is a small border area along the edge that will be hidden by other door parts and you can put staples thru that.

I tried that. Either my 'heavy duty' stapler' isn't so heavy duty or my staples were cheap or not sharp enough as they wouldn't penetrate the aluminum and just bent.

I tried that. Either my 'heavy duty' stapler' isn't so heavy duty or my staples were cheap or not sharp enough as they wouldn't penetrate the aluminum and just bent.
I used a stapler "gun". Staple against some heavy cardboard and then bend the staples over.

I used a stapler "gun". Staple against some heavy cardboard and then bend the staples over.
Me too. Arrow T50 heavy duty. Could be cheap Chinese staples. However I did find the T-50 staples are the perfect size for the cat whiskers on the top door panel. Punch through the rubber and the staples line up perfectly to the factory staple holes.

Back