57 Convertible - Cleaning the rear, plastic window

OhioTbird

OhioTbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
What are you using to clean the rear, plastic window on a convertible?
Mine isn't horrible but definitely could use some work. Thanks.

If its sun baked I don’t think there’s anything you can do but if it’s just dirty I use Spray Away window cleaner. I have used a Mr. Clean white eraser and Simple Green on the dog door but that might scratch the convertible window???

What ever you do, don't use Windex or anything with ammonia. There are many cleaners and conditioners out there designed for vinyl windows. Even look at the West Marine web site as boats have a bunch of clear vinyl windows. Speaking of that I need to condition mine as it's starting to stiffen and I think I saw a small crack.

Thx. Mine is in good condition, Just needs to be cleaned. Good caution on ammonia.

Have been a boater for close to 50 years, the best, and in my opinion the only, product to use is “Camco 210
Made specifically for that clear window material. Works excellent.
I use it on my Jeep soft top windows as well. Around $20.00 a can, where else??

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, why does the rear window have a zipper? Never used it and have no idea why it was standard. What was the original reason for being able to unzip it?

Unless you find a product that's specifically for that application, I wouldn't anything other than mild soap and water. My nephew once used a product containing ammonia to clean the windshield of my dad's BMW motorcycle. My nephew was just a child, trying to be helpful, but the windshield was ruined.

OK, why does the rear window have a zipper? Never used it and have no idea why it was standard. What was the original reason for being able to unzip it?
For extra air conditioning on hot days
Best to not unzip it, may not zip back up

If it's in worse shape than the top, you only need to replace the window. On the other hand, 55 windows are sewn into the tops.

Having the rear window down will provide good airflow thru the cabin for those times you do not want the top down.

Having the rear window down will provide good airflow thru the cabin for those times you do not want the top down.
That makes sense. I live in the Pacific Northwest so I can drive with the top down and not worry about a sunburned back neck. I'm sure in the Southwest leaving the top up but as much air blowing through the cabin would probably feel pretty nice.

Back