57 bird door garnish rail recovering

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am about to recover the door garnishes. I am wondering if I should glue the new vinyl covers in place. If so, is there a preferred adhesive for this application? Thanks

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: GPF
I am about to recover the door garnishes. I am wondering if I should glue the new vinyl covers in place. If so, is there a preferred adhesive for this application? Thanks
I am sure there are other adhesives, but I like to use 3M 77 adhesive. it is a spray adhesive and it lays flat so you don't have any dimples when you apply the vinyl to the metal.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: GPF
I am sure there are other adhesives, but I like to use 3M 77 adhesive. it is a spray adhesive and it lays flat so you don't have any dimples when you apply the vinyl to the metal.
Thanks for the quick response. i will purchase some. Great web site!

If you figure it out I also need this information along with the procedure to remove and replace them

I'd recommend that you go to a professional upholsterer and try to find some of their high grade adhesive to buy a small quantity. I have found the sprays you find at the auto parts stores do not hold up to heat and tension especially if you are talking about the cover over the padded arm rest at the mid door. I also found it would not hold on the ends of the upper piece and I had to remove them and clean. Then I had to buy some replacements ones to start over. Good luck!

Back