1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice

'57 Adding an in-line electric fuel pump

Discussion in '1955 - 1966 Classic Ford Thunderbird' started by dickday0, Mar 11, 2018.

1. dickday0

dickday0 Active Member Lifetime Donor

2. Most Thunderbird suppliers offer electric fuel pumps for your T-Bird. They might be more expensive than the ones you can get from Car Quest, but this is a complete kit with the pump, switch, wiring, hoses and clamps. Here is one that is offered by CASCO:

http://www.classictbird.com/Electric-Fuel-Pump-Kit-12-Volt-1-Per-car/productinfo/9350E12/

I also attached an article about vapor lock and electric fuel pumps from the CTCI web site:

https://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/VaporLock.php

Have you ever considered joining the CTCI or a local chapter in your area? From the CTCI web site you can check to see if there are any local chapters in your area.

https://www.ctci.org

I have owned my Thunderbird for almost four years now, and when I first got my car I had just as many questions as you do. Then I joined a local CTCI chapter in my area and that all changed. In my opinion, the best part of owning my T-Bird is being a part of this special group of people.

Doug7740
    1955 Thunderbird Blue

Birdman57 likes this.
  3. dickday0

4. I am aware that Gil referenced the Car Quest pump, I only added the link because by your questions I didn't realize that you belonged to the CTCI or any Thunderbird club for that matter. What do your fellow NebraskaLand Thunderbird Club members say about problems that you are having? Do any of them have electric fuel pumps on their cars? I do not have an electric fuel pump on my car and I used to have the same problem that you had until I started using 100% gasoline. The fuel costs more, but since there isn't any ethanol in the fuel it doesn't evaporate like the fuels that have ethanol in them. Here is a link to see where you can buy 100% gasoline in your state: https://www.pure-gas.org

Doug7740
    1955 Thunderbird Blue

dickday0 likes this.
  5. dickday0

6. My local chapter doesn't have a forum either. Doesn't your local chapter get together for meetings, outings or car cruises? Even in the winter months we still get together at least once a month to do something, even if it is without our cars.

Doug7740
    1955 Thunderbird Blue

dickday0 likes this.
  7. dickday0

8. dickday0

9. Your welcome. Once you install the electric fuel pump, you only want it working when required not all the time. Wire it to the ā€œIā€ terminal of the ignition switch and then through the on/off switch, that way it will only be on while the engine is running and you can turn it off if you want to. I wired one through the oil pressure switch with a relay, that way if the engine dies in case of accident once oil pressure is lost the pump will shut off.

Doug7740
    1955 Thunderbird Blue

dickday0 likes this.
  10. dickday0

11. Just curious, if power to the pump is dependent upon oil pressure, how can it be used to prime the engine before starting?

dickday0 likes this.
  12. dickday0

13. By turning the electric fuel pump on/off switch to the on position and cranking the engine. It only takes a second of engine cranking before the oil pressure builds and the oil pressure switch closes.

Doug7740
    1955 Thunderbird Blue

14. dickday0

15. dickday0

16. CSPIDY

CSPIDY Active Member Lifetime Donor

dickday0 likes this.
  17. dickday0

18. CSPIDY

dickday0 likes this.
  19. dickday0

20. CSPIDY

dickday0 likes this.

Help us by sharing/liking this page!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!