1956 power steering control valve problem

M

Mr. Bill

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I hope someone can help me with this problem or give me some suggestions. The power steering control valve was leaking on my 1956 thunderbird so I bought a rebuilt one from concourse parts and now it is leaking again. I know there is an overflow tube on the unit but my mechanic put the unit in and all he will say is the valve is leaking. Could it be a bad valve? or could the lines going into the valve be worn enough to have the leaks come from there? any suggestions would help, THANKS.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If the valve is leaking the mechanic should be able to tell the difference between that and the lines. You probably should have replaced the lines anyhow.

Are the lines to the power steering valve threaded could I use tefflon tape on the threads to control any leakage from the threads or is that a bad idea.
If the valve is leaking the mechanic should be able to tell the difference between that and the lines. You probably should have replaced the lines anyhow.

Wrap it several times so it builds up the diameter of the fitting. Do not allow any tape to get into the line or you can figure on a control valve problem too.

Sure it could be a bad valve, unlikely but certainly possible.
If your mechanic can't figure exactly where the leak is coming from maybe time for a new mechanic.
Even if the valve is leaking they are very simple to put new seals in.
Good luck, Tom

Hi Mr. Bill, I have a 56 bird and sent my control valve out for repair because I only had power assist in one direction. This is who I had overhaul the unit.
http://www.stangerssite.com/steeringsysteminfo.html Randy was the gentleman I talked to. When I got it back it worked fine but after a few trips I could see fluid leaking at the ball stud. I thought the problem was one of the lines but cleaning everything with brake clean I could see clearly that it was leaking from the ball stud area. I called Randy and for no charge he replaced the seals and then he added a extra seal because he said that the double seal seemed to stop the problem and after a few hundred miles not one drop has leaked. If your leak is from any other area then disregard the double seal deal.

My power steering control valve seems to be leaking from multiple places. I was reading that there are kits to rebuild it but they may not have all the parts needed like aluminum seats for the pressure and return lines etc.
Have any of you guys rebuilt one?
Is it realistic to try it my self?
Should I look for a rebuilder or a rebuilt unit.
Who sells a kit? I checked CASCO catalogue. couldn't find one listed.
Thanks Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
My PS control valve seems to be leaking from multiple places. I was reading that there are kits to rebuild it but they may not have all the parts needed like aluminum seats for the pressure and return lines etc.
Have any of you guys rebuilt one?
Is it realistic to try it my self?
Should I look for a rebuilder or a rebuilt unit.
Who sells a kit? I checked CASCO catalogue. couldn't find one listed.
Thanks Jeff
Jeff I've rebuilt quite a few . The control valve is the same for Mustang's You can get a rebuild kit complete from Virginia Mustang for a little over 50.00 Rode's Restoration in Galion, Oh. also rebuilds them. 419-468-5182. The kit includes the ball and socket w/brass sleeve. Important to replace those parts. Mark the hose's position or take a picture, you don't want to put them on backwards.

If you don't feel comfortable doing the job yourself, you can have it rebuilt. Some use Lares Corporation who is located in Minnesota or you can try The Stanger Site, a rebuilder in east Texas. I have had the Sanger Site owner rebuild several power steering components for 50's era Fords and find his prices are excellent and his work it top notch.

Back