56 convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Congratulations on your new Bird....Any pictures, and does it also have a hardtop?
To answer your question:
First of all it is manual and not electric, like the new Birds. So,
Pull the seatback forward, and let it lie against the steering wheel.
Behind the seat you should see a vinyl cover hanging down, which covers the convertible top.
Flip the cover up onto the deck area.
Now reach in and pull the convertible top up and out to reach the windshield header.
NOTE: have the two doors open or, if closed, have the windows down.
Once the top is at the header, go back and tuck that cover in where it was and then just latch the two latches to the header.
NOTE: If it's new and not stretched yet, or not been up for a while, pull it up and and just let it rest against the header and sit in the sun for a while. This enables it to be more plyable and stretch better to make the latching easier.
The first time you may want to have someone on each side, but not necessary.
Let me know how you did and best of luck with the new car.:cool:

Last edited:
no hard top , thanks for the input, i will try again, but when i pulled it up it came up to the windshield then stopped.

Ok, do not force it. Try one more thing. 1st, just fold the front "top bow" of the softtop out, then the next "top bow". When all are out and stretching against the rear and the front of it leaning towards the front seatback, Pull up on the entire assembly and forward until the 1st bow reaches the windshield header. It should now go the full distance and lay right on the windshield, waiting to be latched.
If that doesn't work I can only suggest you call the person you bought it from and ask them to raise the top for you. Let us know....:)

156bird
I just received my TBird news letter from local club and in it is; "stowing a soft top 55-57, by John Sailors. nSince we all love TBirds I didn't think he would mind me passing this on. It reads:
"Clean window inside & out - Eliminates scratching
Loosen all clamps
Make sure the rear clamp handles are turned back to their locked position parrallel to the window
Lift the back of the top up slightly from the rear deck
Spread a large towel or similar fabric for protection, on the rear deck and under the rear bow of the top
Un zip window (allows it to hang straight down without a fold when closing up) and lay it on the towel
Fold the towel up over the window to cover it
Lift the front of the top from the windshield header and start lowering it
Pull all the material out from the pinch points as the top folds down ( keep all material out of pinch points - IMPORTANT)
Release the over-center braces just above the side clamps
Continue to fold the top down and continue to keep material out of pinch points
Lift the entire assembly from the rear deckand swing it down behind the seat
If you have a drop curtain, you will have to move it out of the way. before the previous step
Then carefully work the top behind the seat It may take a little maneuvering"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back