55 power seat problem

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
W
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 55 with 12 volt conversion. Power seat works up/down but makes a clunking sound when i try to move it back and forth. I wonder if I should buy a 56 relay or maybe a 56 motor. Anyone have advise?

Moderator Note: You can purchase a restoration service on ebay- https://ebay.us/MYrPvV

Last edited by a moderator:
Henro,

Thanks for the tip. Exactly where would the gear be located?

Walt

Before you purchase a relay or a motor, you have to identify where the noise is coming from. There is an electro-magnet in the relay and it will make a slight click when powered. If the seat motor is locked up, it will make a louder noise or a clunk. I’d suspect that the motor is at fault or the seat is jammed and the motor can’t move it. Try sitting in the seat and pull forward or back to attempt to help the motor.

My T-Bird did the same thing until I realized the seat was so low that it was dragging on the floor! I’m not sure why, but all I did was raise the seat slightly and it worked fine.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back