1955 horn ring removal...

Pete986
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Previous knuckle-bird put the wheel on so when the wheels are straight, the steering wheel is at about 11:00, and the horn contacts aren't right, either.

For the two screws on the back of the steering wheel, what type of head are the screws?

I used a small Philips and a small slotted.
I really can't see what I'm doing, so I'm just guessing.
Neither screwdriver seems to be "grabbing" the screw.

It's not one of those kooky torx screws, is it?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The screws that are on the back of the steering wheel are Philips screws. I suggest that you try using a small mirror to look at the screw heads to see if they are stripped out.

You can’t just remove the steering wheel and re-position it, because one tooth on the steering wheel shaft spline is larger than the others allowing the steering wheel to be installed in one position only. You might have worn steering or suspension components causing the steering wheel to be off center. I suggest that you check the steering and suspension components first, and have a professional perform a wheel alignment.

If your horn is inoperative, first you have to diagnose where the problem is. The horn wire runs down the steering shaft and connects to the control side of the horn relay. When you press on the horn ring, the horn relay closes and sends voltage to the horns. If you ground the blue/yellow wire at the horn relay and the horns sound, then your problem is with the horn wire or the horn ring. If the horns do not sound when you ground the black/yellow wire at the horn relay, then your problem could be with the horn relay, the horns or the wiring between the horns and the relay.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Philips Screw.jpgSteering Wheel Spline 2.jpgSteering Wheel Spline.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello to all,

I just purchased a 1955 baby bird, needs some work, already replaced carpet and seat covers. Some engine work.

Need some help, with a steering wheel horn ring my is being help with screws.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hello to all,

I just purchased a 1955 baby bird, needs some work, already replaced carpet and seat covers. Some engine work.

Need some help, with a steering wheel horn ring my is being help with screws.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

The screws that are on the back of the steering wheel are Philips screws. I suggest that you try using a small mirror to look at the screw heads.

Here is a picture of the screw that holds the horn ring to the steering wheel.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Phillips Screw.jpg

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to remove the 1955 horn ring without removing the screws on the back side! You do not need anyone to help you; I didn't.

Previous knuckle-bird put the wheel on so when the wheels are straight, the steering wheel is at about 11:00, and the horn contacts aren't right, either.

For the two screws on the back of the steering wheel, what type of head are the screws?

I used a small Philips and a small slotted.
I really can't see what I'm doing, so I'm just guessing.
Neither screwdriver seems to be "grabbing" the screw.

It's not one of those kooky torx screws, is it?
This might help some:

Back