55 door locks or latches

Tater Salad

Tater Salad

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey guys, new owner here. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how much slack (rotation) is in their 55-57 door latches (rotors)? I have adjusted the striker plate to various positions with no change in how tight the door latches to the b pillar. I'm beginning to think I have to much slack (rotation) in the rotar. Is anyone familiar with those locks? Can they be rebuilt to reduce rotation?
Thanks in advance

Hey guys, new owner here. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how much slack (rotation) is in their 55-57 door latches (rotors)? I have adjusted the striker plate to various positions with no change in how tight the door latches to the b pillar. I'm beginning to think I have to much slack (rotation) in the rotar. Is anyone familiar with those locks? Can they be rebuilt to reduce rotation?
Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance
Maybe you need a new latch .

Maybe you need a new latch .
Yes, that is what I'm leaning toward as well. However they seem to be tough to find at a reasonable price. Which is why I asked if anyone knew how much slack or rotation working ones typically have. Thank you though

I was under the impression that Ford changed the design going from 1955 into the 1956 years. They had a new logo sticker they made and it went on the door. The sticker had the ford coat of arms logo and it said lifeguard design. I remember being told stories of doors opening while going down the road. I was told the doors were better after the 1955 year due to the design change. I don't know how true those stories were though. I do know that I have worked on adjusting my 1055 more than once and usually my drivers door works much more efficiently than my passenger door. I suspect it is because of worn parts. I haven't gone in depth on it because I am very involved with working on my body-off project at the moment. I have decided that when I get to getting the doors aligned and functioning I may look into updating to the 1956 assemblies.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: JDJ
The 1955 and 1956 door locks and striker plates are different. This is part of the "Lifeguard" design changes that brought the deep dish steering wheel, and even changes in the passenger car frames. This was the first year that ford offered such safety items as padded dashes and seat belts at optional cost. There will be a small amount of play in he door latch but if it is loose with any adjustment, it must be replaced. The 55 latches are not available new, but can be purchased used for about $85 plus a core charge.

The 1955 and 1956 door locks and striker plates are different. This is part of the "Lifeguard" design changes that brought the deep dish steering wheel, and even changes in the passenger car frames. This was the first year that ford offered such safety items as padded dashes and seat belts at optional cost. There will be a small amount of play in he door latch but if it is loose with any adjustment, it must be replaced. The 55 latches are not available new, but can be purchased used for about $85 plus a core charge.
Can you share where I might be able to find those latches for 85 bucks? Thanks for your input

Hi, try Casco in Ohio phone#. 1-740-622-8561 (parts). Also Shawn in the restoration department is very knowledgeable and has helped me before.
Classic Tbird.com

JDJ

Thanks JDJ. I actually found them in larry's book. I had checked larry's online with no luck, but they're in the catalog

Thanks in advance

Did you get your door lock mechanism replaced? Broke the star on the lock on my 55 yesterday, it fell off after slamming it several times to get it to close. Prestige Thunderbird rebuilds the lock for $85 + core, or you can upgrade to a 56/57 style for $135 complete, lock and striker plate.

Did you get your door lock mechanism replaced? Broke the star on the lock on my 55 yesterday, it fell off after slamming it several times to get it to close. Prestige Thunderbird rebuilds the lock for $85 + core, or you can upgrade to a 56/57 style for $135 complete, lock and striker plate.
Thanks slkwky, but yes, I got them squared away.

Back