'55 Dash Restoration

Y-8

Y-8

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Wondering how to restore the painted surface of my dash. There is a slight stipple or "wrinkle." I have found Black Wrinkle Paint for Heater Case. My dash and heater box appear to be slightly different finishes. There is no reference in the restoration manual.

when I restored my 56 I used lacquer paint . mix it thicker and lower air pressure till you get the right texture

Wondering how to restore the painted surface of my dash. There is a slight stipple or "wrinkle." I have found Black Wrinkle Paint for Heater Case. My dash and heater box appear to be slightly different finishes. There is no reference in the restoration manual.
Check with T bird parts suppliers. Several of them carry the dash paint. Hill's Restorations in Ohio, they even have a tech support number you can call.

Concours Parts and Supplies

i used Performance brand, looks good. still has the textured look without and thing else done. My problem is the damed vinyl part! how do you get the wrinkles out?? thanks,Henry

it's not easy! You also have to be very careful to have it properly centered so that the seams look good / equal on both sides. Regarding the wrinkles you will have to apply some heat to help get it to take the shape of the corner. You can try a variety of methods., A hot light aimed at it (like a floodlight or heat lamp), A steaming heater like the upholsterers use, or a heat gun. Be careful to not apply too much heat! I saved my old cover when I removed it so I could mimic the cuts at the edges of the material to help it fit better at the corners.

Spoke with several people in the business of restoration today. I was told:

One person told me to: Spray dryer than normal lacquer from a distance to create the desired effect.

Another says: Use 3M™ Rocker Panel Coating, then paint. I was advised not to use the exterior paint for the dash, but to match the arm rest cover material in color and luster. When asked about the lacquer application technique, he said, no one uses lacquer since the lead has been removed.

My arm rests are black. Can anyone suggest a paint that will be as durable as the factory coating. Somehow the original finish is extraordinarily tough. I'm unsure what my dash looked like originally but it is now a matte finish.

Back